Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Complete date series

Hi a Newcomer to DAX and PBI here,

i want to "complete" a date series in my dataset.

The following scenario: I feed a data cube from the server into my PBI desktop application. However, this cube only contains date entries for days with values; no value and the day does not even appear.

Example:

The columns "Dim_company", "Dim_division", "Dim_kpi", "Dim_version" are group variables, each of these groups tracks its own time series.

The snippet now shows the example company "1234" with its divisions "ABC" and "DFG". The problem now is that for the division "DFG" no value was delivered on October 2nd 2021 and the line is therefore missing.

##1.PNG

What I would like to do now using DAX is to automatically insert a blank row for the missing date, so that in my example the two divisions cover the same days. ( The columns have shifted compared to the first screenshot, but I hope you still get what I mean )

##2.PNG

For those of you who are also familiar with R - In R I would solve the problem like this:

library(dplyr)
library(tidyverse)

data  %>% group_by(Dim_company,Dim_currency,Dim_division,Dim_kpi,Dim_version,Dim_wildcard_dc) %>%
          complete(Dim_period_daily2 = seq.Date(min(Dim_period_daily2), max(Dim_period_daily2), by = "day")) %>%
          ungroup()

2 REPLIES 2
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

what could be the purpose of having this blank row?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tamerj1 ,

the individual values are cumulated in a rolling sum for each group over the days each month. After that the series are supposed to be visualized in a simple graph (for now).

The visualization of a single group (like just "ABC") works fine, but when you pick multiple group the cumulative values are supposed to be added together and displayed. 

This works fine as long as the two groups have the same days within each month.

The summation is dynamic enough to take the last cumulative value if there is a blank.

But if there is an entry missing one element gets skipped which results in this drops in the graph (s. below):

##3.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors