Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

al12397
Frequent Visitor

Comparing a column with 2 slicer on an other column

Hi Everyone,

New power BI user here. Basically what I want to do is have a user select 2 values on same column and have the output be the common IDs on another column

SelectionsIDs
AOne
Btwo
CThree
DOne 
ETwo 
FThree
GOne 
HTwo

Suppose a user selects in a Slicer1 "A" and "B" and in Slicer2 "G" then I want to output to show (in matrix or whatever) "One"

Suppose a user selects in slicer1 "C" and in Slicer 2 "D" then the output should be nothing

Suppose a user selects in Slicer1 "A","B","C" and in Slicer2 "B","F" then output should be "two" and "three" etc

Ideally I dont want to dublicate tables/columns (but can live with it if there is no other way) as its a large data set and dont want to affect performance.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to do it with just a single table. You have to have 2 independent dimensions from which to make selection 1 and 2. No way around it.

Best

D

Thanks for the reply.

One quick question is assume I cannot create a realtionship between the 2 filter tables (and cannot go to qurey editor to create a relationship) and the Main table is there a way to do this then? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are also other ways to set up this model. You can, for instance, have all the 3 tables disconnected from each other. Then you'll need to make changes to the measure to make it work the same. You can also create 2 active connections to the main table but you'll need to make a change to the measure as well. But connecting the selection tables... does not serve any purpose and, indeed, it's just wrong. Try it yourself.

Best
D

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors