Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shamikdas

Compare each week vs Mean value and distinct count products satisfying condition

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on PBI forum!

I am working on a problem where we are trying to identify the UPCs (products) which have taken a price increase over a period of 4 weeks by comparing against the mean price of each UPC for 6 weeks. I have attached the PBIX file for reference. The data in the file has columns UPC and Week and some fact columns (Value, Volume, Price)

Link to PBIX file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pgaMe3JpPNVdoZYwJtIDRyoTlrQg8d_e/view?usp=sharing

Sample of the data looks like this (full data in the PBIX file shared):

UPCWeekValue SalesVolume SalesAvg_Price

Requirement:

Count of distinct UPCs where each of the latest 4 weeks Price is greater than Mean Price of 6 weeks.

• Calculate Mean of Price for 6 weeks (this number will change later and the range of weeks will later be dynamic)
  • Compare each of the 1st 4 weeks with the mean value
  • If all the weeks are greater than mean, count the SKU, else ignore.
  • Finally show total count of SKUs where this condition is satisfied.

This needs to be measure driven to be scalable. Users would want to select a particular period and the calculation needs to be dynamic based on the selection.

My Process:

• Summarize data at UPC and week level and create columns with ADDCOLUMNS function à Price and Mean Price
  • Filter out with function FILTER the weeks I do not need to compare (e.g. weeks 5 to 8 in this data)
  • Further calculate the minimum of Price – Mean at UPC level
  • Count UPCs where the minimum is greater than 0 (or any threshold)
  • Below is the measure.

Cont_Growth =

var Mean_Price = filter(addcolumns(SUMMARIZE(Dummy_Data,Dummy_Data[UPC],Dummy_Data[Week]), "Price",divide(CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Value Sales])), CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Volume Sales]))),"Mean", CALCULATE(average(Dummy_Data[Avg_Price]),ALLSELECTED(Dummy_Data[Week]),Dummy_Data[Week] <7)),Dummy_Data[Week]<5)

var min_Price = MINX(Mean_Price,[Price] - ([Mean]))

var final = FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(summarize(Dummy_Data,Dummy_Data[UPC]),"Cond_check2", min_Price),[Cond_check2] > -.45)

return COUNTAX(final,Dummy_Data[UPC])

Problem:

When all the UPCs are satisfying the condition, I get the correct count. Else, I am still getting the correct count within UPC context. However, as a total I am getting a blank(). Please see image below. Here I have given condition of Price - Mean > -.45 just to check the below scenario.

shamikdas_1-1637500220849.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pretty stuck on this problem! 🙂

Thanks & Regards,

Shamik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @shamikdas 

I guess I know what you mean

Vera_33_0-1637731367176.png

Cont_Growth 1 = 

VAR T1=GENERATE(GROUPBY(Dummy_Data,Dummy_Data[UPC],Dummy_Data[Week]),
    VAR Price1=divide(CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Value Sales])), CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Volume Sales])))
    VAR Mean1=CALCULATE(average(Dummy_Data[Avg_Price]),ALLSELECTED(Dummy_Data[Week]),Dummy_Data[Week] <7)
    VAR check=IF((Price1-Mean1)>-.45,1,0)
    RETURN
    ROW("CHECK",check))

VAR final =
GROUPBY( FILTER( T1,Dummy_Data[Week]<5),[UPC],
             "total",COUNTX(CURRENTGROUP(),[UPC]),
            "cont",SUMX(CURRENTGROUP(),[CHECK])) 

RETURN
SUMX(final,IF([cont]/[total]=1,1,0))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @shamikdas 

Have you followed the DAX formula posted by Vera_33 to find the solution to your problem?

If so, would you like to mark his reply as a solution so that others can learn from it too?

Thanks in advance!

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

shamikdas

Thanks @Vera_33

To your question below:

I am not sure what you want in Total as Distinct count products, in your sample it should be 3 or 8? I am taking 8

shamikdas_0-1637727439077.png

I would want the output to show 1 here. The reason is that out of the 3 products (1111, 2222, 3333) only 1 product satisfies the condition for all 4 time periods. If you see above example, the products 2222 and 3333 satisfy the condition in 3 out of 4 weeks and 1 out of 4 weeks respectively. Hence I would like to ignore these products and only count the 1st one.

Is there some way I could achieve this? Appreciate the quick support! 🙂

Thanks!

Shamik

Hi @shamikdas 

I guess I know what you mean

Vera_33_0-1637731367176.png

Cont_Growth 1 = 

VAR Price1=divide(CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Value Sales])), CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Volume Sales])))
    VAR Mean1=CALCULATE(average(Dummy_Data[Avg_Price]),ALLSELECTED(Dummy_Data[Week]),Dummy_Data[Week] <7)
    VAR check=IF((Price1-Mean1)>-.45,1,0)
    RETURN
    ROW("CHECK",check))

VAR final =
GROUPBY( FILTER( T1,Dummy_Data[Week]<5),[UPC],
             "total",COUNTX(CURRENTGROUP(),[UPC]),
            "cont",SUMX(CURRENTGROUP(),[CHECK])) 

RETURN
SUMX(final,IF([cont]/[total]=1,1,0))

Hi @Vera_33 

Thank you so much for the solution! Works perfectly! 🙂

I will now try to modify this for my real data which is in star schema format (though I dont expect any issues in that)! I will also try to see if I can pull out the sales for the UPCs satisfying my condition!

Regards,

Shamik

Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @shamikdas 

I am not sure what you want in Total as Distinct count products, in your sample it should be 3 or 8? I am taking 8

Vera_33_0-1637670483957.png

Sligtly modified yours

Cont_Growth 1 = 

var Mean_Price = filter(addcolumns(SUMMARIZE(Dummy_Data,Dummy_Data[UPC],Dummy_Data[Week]),
 "Price",divide(CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Value Sales])), CALCULATE(SUM(Dummy_Data[Volume Sales]))),
 "Mean", CALCULATE(average(Dummy_Data[Avg_Price]),ALLSELECTED(Dummy_Data[Week]),Dummy_Data[Week] <7)),
Dummy_Data[Week]<5)

var final =FILTER( ADDCOLUMNS(Mean_Price,"check",[Price]-[Mean]),[check]>-.45)

return 
COUNTROWS(final)

another way, the same result

Cont_Growth 2 = 

VAR check=Price1-Mean1
    RETURN
    ROW("CHECK",check))

VAR final =FILTER( T1,[CHECK]>-.45&&Dummy_Data[Week]<5)

RETURN
COUNTROWS(final)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors