Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Compare Selected quarter on parallel bar chart

I want to compare total balance of 2 selected quarter for different categories in a parallel bar chart format. To achieve this I've created 2 different columns and created 2 measures corresponding to each quarter column like: 

Measure-1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter1]=SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Quarter1])))
Measure-2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter1]=SELECTEDVALUE(Sheet1[Quarter2])))

The measure values are getting populated, but when I try to plot these measures on clustered column chart, nothing shows up. It looks like both the selected values are interacting with the chart hence nothing gets plotted. Is there any workaround for this?

So the idea is when I select the quarters from 2 different slicers, the corresponding measures gets calculated and I can plot the sum of balance on parallel bar plot for different categories on x-axis. I'm attaching the pbix file for reference. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QdbAit2-CjJ0naa3xOxKW6T_K0XQMbRa/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colacan
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Anonymous 

Hi parag,

If you make 2 date-slicers which exists in the same table, it would slice each other ending up having null table.

the solution would be introducing two calculate tables which can be used as slicers.

From your data,

Step1. Create calculated quater column in the main table (as you made for [quater1] and [quater2]):

Quarter = CONCATENATE(FORMAT([Date],"YYYY"), CONCATENATE(" Q",ROUNDUP(MONTH([Date])/3,0)))

Step2. Create two tables (Sellecting quater slicers):

QtrA = values(Sheet1[Quarter])
QtrB = values(Sheet1[Quarter])

Step3. Adjust your measures as below:

Measure-1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter]=SELECTEDVALUE(QtrA[Quarter])))
Measure-2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter]=SELECTEDVALUE(QtrB[Quarter])))

Step4. 
make 2 slicers with QtrA & QtrB (remove your Quater1 and Quater2 from the canvas)
make bar chart:  Axis: Category, Values: Measure-1 and Measure-2

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
colacan
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Anonymous 

Hi parag,

If you make 2 date-slicers which exists in the same table, it would slice each other ending up having null table.

the solution would be introducing two calculate tables which can be used as slicers.

From your data,

Step1. Create calculated quater column in the main table (as you made for [quater1] and [quater2]):

Quarter = CONCATENATE(FORMAT([Date],"YYYY"), CONCATENATE(" Q",ROUNDUP(MONTH([Date])/3,0)))

Step2. Create two tables (Sellecting quater slicers):

QtrA = values(Sheet1[Quarter])
QtrB = values(Sheet1[Quarter])

Step3. Adjust your measures as below:

Measure-1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter]=SELECTEDVALUE(QtrA[Quarter])))
Measure-2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Quarter]=SELECTEDVALUE(QtrB[Quarter])))

Step4. 
make 2 slicers with QtrA & QtrB (remove your Quater1 and Quater2 from the canvas)
make bar chart:  Axis: Category, Values: Measure-1 and Measure-2

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@colacan this is perfect. Thank you so much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors