Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Joseph_Hchaime
Helper III
Helper III

Compare 2 Dates by year but without Hierarchy

I have a bills table and a "payments" table. 

Both have Bill ID as common and a "Bill Issue Date" in the bills table and an "Allocation Date" in the Payments table. 

I'm trying to create a dax measure that will dynamically show me the Net Billed and Net Collected based on Year. Where the Net Collected is split between Current Year and Previous Years. 

Example 1: 

We are in 2022.

Bill issued in 2019 for 100,000$. 

First Collection of $50,000 was made in 2020

Second Collection of $50,000 was made in 2021. 

I pick 2021 as the Allocation Date/Year from the slicer. It should show me the following 

Total Collected $100,000. CY $50,000 PY $50,000

I'm facing the issue of creating this DAX dynamically, I'm only able to do it if i use the today function but that hard codes it to today's "year" which is 2022 so anything before "today" is considered previous years irrespective of the slicer selection. 

Also, there is no date hierarchy in my data set so I'm forced to create "bins" from the issue_date and allocation_Date

Please help!! 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Joseph_Hchaime 

Why don't you have a date dimension in your model? And if you don't, why can't you create one? Without such a dimension your model will be flawed because you won't have a shared dimension that will be able to join to your date fields in both tables.

Can you please show us the model? Just paste a screenshot if you can. Thanks.

View solution in original post

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joseph_Hchaime ,

Based on your description, I have created a simple sample:

vjianbolimsft_0-1661932309418.png

vjianbolimsft_1-1661932320687.png

Please try:

First, create a new table for slicer:

vjianbolimsft_4-1661932681716.png

Turn on the single select of the slicer:

vjianbolimsft_3-1661932444286.png

Then create the measures:

Total Collected = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])<=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])))

CY = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])))

PY = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])-1))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_5-1661932837565.png

vjianbolimsft_6-1661932853404.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Create a composite model and you'll be able to mix remote and local sources. That's easy enough. Here's the documentation: Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You can also find vids on YT about composite models. Some of them will be from Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari. But if you're new to PBI... I'd suggest you first take some speedy course on the basics of PBI. Without a sound knowledge of the basics you'll be having a hard time creating good and correct models. Been there, seen that.

But up to you 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joseph_Hchaime ,

Based on your description, I have created a simple sample:

vjianbolimsft_0-1661932309418.png

vjianbolimsft_1-1661932320687.png

Please try:

First, create a new table for slicer:

vjianbolimsft_4-1661932681716.png

Turn on the single select of the slicer:

vjianbolimsft_3-1661932444286.png

Then create the measures:

Total Collected = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])<=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])))

CY = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])))

PY = CALCULATE(SUM(Payment[Ammount]),FILTER('Payment',YEAR([Allocation Date])=SELECTEDVALUE('For slicer'[Year])-1))

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_5-1661932837565.png

vjianbolimsft_6-1661932853404.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Joseph_Hchaime 

Why don't you have a date dimension in your model? And if you don't, why can't you create one? Without such a dimension your model will be flawed because you won't have a shared dimension that will be able to join to your date fields in both tables.

Can you please show us the model? Just paste a screenshot if you can. Thanks.

I'm direct querying data from an SQL server so when I publish on the service it gives me the latest results. 

I'm still new to PowerBI. I'm under the impression I can't alter the schema I use on my local PC as it won't publish properly and sync the data from the live SQL server. 

Are you saying I can create my own date table and link both the bills and allocations table to it without affecting the schema i'm direct querying from SQL? if so how do i do it? I have active relationships between the Bills Table and Allocations table based on Bill_ID 

Joseph_Hchaime_0-1661518324132.png

Create a composite model and you'll be able to mix remote and local sources. That's easy enough. Here's the documentation: Use composite models in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You can also find vids on YT about composite models. Some of them will be from Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari. But if you're new to PBI... I'd suggest you first take some speedy course on the basics of PBI. Without a sound knowledge of the basics you'll be having a hard time creating good and correct models. Been there, seen that.

But up to you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors