Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DM0010
Regular Visitor

Combining multiple tables in one visualization

Hello everyone!

I recently started to use Power BI at my work for more insightful visualizations of certain financials. I'm getting to know the program by watching (and reading) a lot of tutorials. Now I want to visualize an OPEX-evolution over several years. The problem is that the different years are all seperated in their own table (CY 2018, ..., CY 2022), which I think makes it impossible to visualize it directly. I think I have to make a combined table. The problem is I don't know how to. I tried the UNION function, but I get the error message that not all tables have the same amount of columns. Is there a solution for this, where I don't have to change the amount of columns?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikhilChenna
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @DM0010 , it is simple. if all the tables column names are same.
1. Go to Power Query Editor select all the tables from your left hand side queries pane using Ctrl. 
2. After that click on Append Queries button (Combine section) above ribbon . Attaching screenshot for your reference.

NikhilChenna_0-1669284023254.png

3. Refer this link too for more details ,
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/append-queries

Regards,
Nikhil Chenna 

Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DM0010 ,

What is the connection mode of your data?

If you can't use power query, maybe DAX could help you. Could you please provide a simple sample about your data? 

Please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DM0010 ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or if you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The problem is not solved yet, due to the fact that there is a problem with my table-source (ODBC). Error IM002 occurs (Data source name not found and no default driver specified). Maybe this is the case because the ODBC was set up by a third party (not the company that I work for)

NikhilChenna
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @DM0010 , it is simple. if all the tables column names are same.
1. Go to Power Query Editor select all the tables from your left hand side queries pane using Ctrl. 
2. After that click on Append Queries button (Combine section) above ribbon . Attaching screenshot for your reference.

NikhilChenna_0-1669284023254.png

3. Refer this link too for more details ,
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/append-queries

Regards,
Nikhil Chenna 

Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors