Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

A7T57ZZ
Frequent Visitor

Combine Rows for Single Order in DAX

I am trying to combine rows with the same in DAX for a visual.  Right now the DB is showing this as two or multiple different lines based on quantity status.  The top chart shows how it looks currently.  The bottom chart is how I would like it to look in my visual.  There are many other columns that would be displayed, but this is the only part I am struggling to make happen.  I am open to a M Query solution as well, but thought there should be some way to do this in DAX.

SO - Doc & LineLine Item QtyOBD Line Item Qty

SO - Doc & LineLine Item QtyOBD Line Item QtyBackorder
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@A7T57ZZ Seems like a simple Group By:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjU1MLcwBBLmhgZKOkogbGlgoBSrg1XK0Ai7nImFAYjCpc0MpCsWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"SO - Doc & Line" = _t, #"Line Item Qty" = _t, #"OBD Line Item Qty" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SO - Doc & Line", Int64.Type}, {"Line Item Qty", Int64.Type}, {"OBD Line Item Qty", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"SO - Doc & Line"}, {{"Line Item QTY", each List.Sum([Line Item Qty]), type nullable number}, {"OBD Line Item Qty", each List.Sum([OBD Line Item Qty]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Or in DAX:

Table = SUMMARIZE('Table'[SO - Doc & Line],"Line Item Qty",SUM([Line Item Qty]),"OBD Line Item Qty",SUM([OBD Line Item Qty]))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @A7T57ZZ 

why don't you just summarize by sum?

This is just one of 30k different orders that I need to display.  I want the Sum for the two columns by based on the first column.  Essentially it will take 50k lines down to the 30k indivudual orders and allow me to calculate the total qty of shipped and the remaining qty to ship.  Apologies, I should have been more clear.

@A7T57ZZ 

That doesn't change anything. Still don't understand why you cannot summarize the columns by sum? Or just create a simple SUM measures?

You are correct, I used a simple summarize.  I was overcomplicating things trying to account for other columns that contain uniuque values.  Going to use MAX/MIN or COUNT to take care of that issue for my purpose.  Your response is greatly appreciated!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@A7T57ZZ Seems like a simple Group By:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjU1MLcwBBLmhgZKOkogbGlgoBSrg1XK0Ai7nImFAYjCpc0MpCsWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"SO - Doc & Line" = _t, #"Line Item Qty" = _t, #"OBD Line Item Qty" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SO - Doc & Line", Int64.Type}, {"Line Item Qty", Int64.Type}, {"OBD Line Item Qty", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"SO - Doc & Line"}, {{"Line Item QTY", each List.Sum([Line Item Qty]), type nullable number}, {"OBD Line Item Qty", each List.Sum([OBD Line Item Qty]), type nullable number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Or in DAX:

Table = SUMMARIZE('Table'[SO - Doc & Line],"Line Item Qty",SUM([Line Item Qty]),"OBD Line Item Qty",SUM([OBD Line Item Qty]))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you!  I used the DAX Summarize that I have used many times, but think I was trying to over complicate what I was trying to accomplish.  I have many other columns with unique values, but will have to use a COUNT or MIN/MAX to display how  I want them.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors