Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Datazen
Helper I
Helper I

Combine DAX measure with units column?

I have a calculated measure in DAX for Total Sales of various items in the form of:

Sales = SUM(ExtendedPrice) 

Each granular row in my data also has a Unit of Measure stored in a separate column named 'UOM' (LBS, Tons, CF, etc) . How do I present the measure 'Sales' and have the appropriate units concatenated to it so it displays as '100 LBS', '300 Tons', '400 CF' etc?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Vinodkumarj

Hi Datazen,

Did you find the solution for the question you raised?

Now I am having same requirement in on of my report. If you found solution please share the measure.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Datazen 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

Please try something like the below.

Picture13.png

Sales =
FORMAT (
IF ( ISFILTERED ( 'Table'[uom] ), SUM ( 'Table'[extendedprice] ) ),
"#,##0.00"
) & " "
& SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[uom] )

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks Jihwan. I aprecaite your effort. 

I get a memory error when trying a simliar pattern. I wanted to keep my post simple so I should say that my 'Sum' is actually a CALCULATE(SUM...) with a condition. Also, the numeric part of the result needs to be turned to a STRING before the concatenation can be done with UOM. Not only that but once it is turned into a STRING the measure can't be referenced in subsequent calculations. I was hoping for some smooth way that Power BI would concatenate the units while keeping my result as a number. 

Hi, @Datazen 

Thank you for your feedback.

If you create a calculation group and format those by using a Tabular editor in Power BI, it will be still a number. The format can be customized row by row, if you want.

If you can share your sample pbix file's link here, I can try to look into it and come up with a more accurate solution.

Thank you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Datazen , You have to make sure UOM is part of visual

Sales = SUM(ExtendedPrice) & max([UOM])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors