Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CatHeaps
Regular Visitor

Collation of data and summarising totals based on criteria

Hello.  This is my first time posting and I am new to Power BI.   I am a user of Excel and can pull together some formulas to summarise budgets, spend and variances.   I am struggling in Power BI though.  

I have attached an image of the final summary of information.  As you can see there are several sources of data (Tables of data which are actually tabs on an excel spreadsheet) that I need to pull in to one view.   Budget.  Spend to Date.  Forecast.   Variance.   I have established relationships but don't really know where to go from there on how to display/pull it all in to one view.  

I am trawling the internet for advice, but think I am asking the wrong questions.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.  Mybe on how to breakdown the requirements then build back up.

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CatHeaps ,

Has @AlexisOlson's solution solved your problem? If yes, please kindly accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Power BI isn't really designed to build composite tables like this in a single visual. It's not impossible but you'll have to do quite a bit of work to smash it all together and even then you might not be happy with this formatting. If you have a choice in the matter, I'd recommend not trying to make Power BI be something it isn't designed to be.

As a side note, it is possible to publish Excel to a Power BI workspace. See here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-publish-from-excel

(I'm not necessarily recommending this, just mentioning it as a possibility.)

Thanks for the heads up.  I less precious about the format of the table and more interested in being able to show the results.  I.e.  Drill in to a project, see its spend, its forecast and its variance.  However, I am struggling with the calculations.  My actuals and my forecasts are in one table, but my budget is in another.  I also can have different tasks in each of those tables and want to merge the total number of different tasks in to one table and display the results for each of them. Thanks for helping me think differently about the end result, it will help me approach the solution in a different way. 

Just to be clear, I was primarily talking about the visual formatting. If you ignore the top two rows in your screenshot, you can likely build a matrix visual of (most of) the rest where each column is a separate measure. Having measures defined on different tables isn't a problem so long as you have dimension tables (e.g. dimDate, dimProject) tying everything together.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors