Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tonyt
Regular Visitor

Code comments in replies?

Hi, 

Relative newbie to Power BI, but 30+ years of experience in data, SQL, reporting & BI.

Apologies if this seems like a rant, but a solid 6 months of trying to get my head around DAX has me insanely frustrated and fast turning me off this product.

The wonderful people who reply to everyone's questions are hugely appreciated. Given the huge learning curve of DAX, it might be even more helpful to beginners if suggested DAX code had comments (ie. // Place useful comment here) to help said newbies to understand the logic behind the suggested DAX and to help them to learn.

I can't wait until I understand enough to be able to help others and implement my suggestion.

</rant> 😉

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

DAX is simple but it's not easy.

This is what I've learned from the best DAX experts in the world - Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari. You wanna know DAX inside out? Well, all I've learned about it I know from them. If you go to www.sqlbi.com, you'll see tonnes of materials about DAX (overwhelming amount of them for free). But in my case, I've invested heavily into it. I've already bought 3 courses from them through the website and have never regretted the decision a single moment: Mastering DAX, Optimizing DAX and one on how to create correct models for Power BI and related technologies. I've taken the last one because it's clear that if your model is just RIGHT, then your DAX is simple and fast.

I'm not saying you should do what I've done. I'm just saying that mastering DAX takes some time and it really helps to learn it from the best in the field. After all, you get what you pay for 🙂

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors