Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clearing filter context from key column

Hello Team,

I am having a problem with understanding what filter function should I use in my example:

I have some simple model with fact table and 2 dimensions with attributes and 2 measures where:

sales_measure=SUM('fact'[sales])

total=CALCULATE([sales_measure],ALL('fact'[color id]))

So I am using ALL('fact'[color id]) to clear filter contex from this column which is also key column in relationship with color dimension.

Now I would like to use a slicers from color dimension but when I am using it is not working as I want and my total measure is affected by this slicer  - in my understanding it shouldn't because 'dim'[color id] affecting 'fact'[color id] (relationship) and on this column I have ALL function applied to clear all filters on that column.

WJ_0-1652822862544.png

Then, when I am using color id column from fact table for slicer, it is working fine:

WJ_1-1652822889141.png

My conclusion is that ALL(column) function is not able to clear filters that are coming by relations. However I noticed that ALL(table) function is able to clear all context even from relations.

But I can't just simply use this ALL function on a table because in my real project I have much more slicers that are coming from different tables and I don't want to clear the context from them by apllying ALL on my whole fact. I just want to clear the context from my one column (that is key column to dimension), but I want this column to be cleared also when I am using fields from this dimension as a slicers.

I know that If I want to slice data by fields from dimensions I could use then ALL(column from dimension) function, but the hardest thing here is that I have to use only fields from fact to clear the context from this one dimension.

Any thoughts or useful functions here? 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the difference between ALL(column) and ALL(table), you can check this blog:

Managing “all” functions in DAX: ALL, ALLSELECTED, ALLNOBLANKROW, ALLEXCEPT - SQLBI.

Then in your scenario, try this:

total =
CALCULATE (
    [sales_measure],
    TREATAS ( ALL ( 'fact'[color id] ), 'Dim'[Dim color id] ),
    ALL ( 'fact'[color id] )
)

Here's my test example:

TREATAS.gif

Reference: TREATAS function - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is not what I was asking.

The question is how can I clear the filter context in fact table that is coming from one dimension, by using field from a fact table. ALL(fact) is working here but it is clearing as well the rest of filter context from other dimenstions that I would like to keep.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the difference between ALL(column) and ALL(table), you can check this blog:

Managing “all” functions in DAX: ALL, ALLSELECTED, ALLNOBLANKROW, ALLEXCEPT - SQLBI.

Then in your scenario, try this:

total =
CALCULATE (
    [sales_measure],
    TREATAS ( ALL ( 'fact'[color id] ), 'Dim'[Dim color id] ),
    ALL ( 'fact'[color id] )
)

Here's my test example:

TREATAS.gif

Reference: TREATAS function - DAX | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Dimension will filter Fact(1-M) , Fact will filter dimension only if join is bi-directional

You can stop interaction between two slicers if needed

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors