Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AdamRobC
Helper II
Helper II

Circular dependency when sorting by column

Hi,

I would like to sort my month names by a calculated column based on the previous 12 month period. I have got the values populating in a suitable way using relative months to the current month.

MaxRelativeMonth = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[RelativeMonth]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthly Reporting Period]="TY" && 'Calendar'[Month Name]='Month Ordering'[Month Name]))

reldate.PNG

However this keeps resulting in circular dependency errors. Any help?

Thanks,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AdamRobC , As you are using month name in creating the sort column you can not use that as a sort column

Create a column

Month Name 1 =[Month Name]

MaxRelativeMonth = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[RelativeMonth]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthly Reporting Period]="TY" && 'Calendar'[Month Name]='Month Ordering'[Month Name]))

Sort Month Name 1 on the new sort column and use that is the visual. Do rename as per need

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AdamRobC , As you are using month name in creating the sort column you can not use that as a sort column

Create a column

Month Name 1 =[Month Name]

Sort Month Name 1 on the new sort column and use that is the visual. Do rename as per need

@amitchandak thanks, that worked 🙂

AlB
Super User
Super User

@AdamRobC 

Ok, but you are using the Calendar table in the calculation as well.

Can you create that sorting column in Power query instead? That should avoid the issue.

Otherwise I'd need to see the calendar table its columns) and the its relationship with 'Month ordering'. If you can share the pbix, much better

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @AdamRobC 

When do you get the circular dependency error, when creating the calc column or when trying to "Sort by"?

Can you show the full table (columns)?

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB The error occurs when trying to sort Month Name by MaxRelativeMonth. That is the entire table, there are only 3 columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors