Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Churn of customers acquired in previous period

Hi guys and gals,

Working for a subscription service I am trying to figure out the number and value of susbcriptions and customers who ended their subscription after pre-defined periods (e.g. 1 month, 2 months etc.). For this I do have a Subscription table with subscription details (subscription ID, customer ID, start date, end date, payment frequency, year value), a Transaction table with all detailed transactions (subscription ID, customer ID, transaction ID, transaction date, transaction amount) and a standard Calendar table. In the model, the date of this date table is connected to the start date in the Subscription table and the transaction date in the Transaction table.

The DAX measures I wrote are like:

ChurnSubscriptionLT030Days# =
CALCULATE(
    [TotalSubscriptions],
    DATESINPERIOD(Subscription[startdate], MAX(Subscription[startdate]),-30,DAY),
    DATESINPERIOD(Subscription[enddate], MAX(Subscription[startdate]),-30,DAY)
)

When viualising these measures in a bar graph with the measure on Y-axis and the calendar month (MONTH('Calendar'[Date]) on X-axis the numbers are incorrect. I am sure the solution is simple so I am hoping you can help me out.

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Create current vs last period as I have done in the HR file(On the trend Page). Then you can check blank and nonblank values for customer retention

Customer Retention Part 1:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-1-Month-on-Month-Retention/ba-p/1361529

Customer Retention Part 5: LTD Vs Period Retention
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Customer-Retention-Part-5-LTD-and-PeriodYoY-Retention-is-only/ba-p/2114497

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors