Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dmartiprev
Frequent Visitor

Changing Data through slicer

I would like to create new data based on a slicer setting i have chosen linked to a parameter values.  For example, i have a baseline monthly forecast for 2022.  I would like to apply a percentage change to this baseline forecast for alternative scenarios.  For instance, i want to see what the forecast looks like if it was 5% higher than the baseline forecast.  I need this at the data column level and not a measure so that i can create some formulas off that new column data.  For instance, if column B is the baseline forecast, I have create a new column that equals the baseline forecast column multiplied by (1+ parameter value); in this case, i set my slicer to 5%.  I could have easily chosen 6% or something else, that's the type of functionality I'd like to build. 

I have created a measure that works visually for this, but i realized I really need this at the column level to use it for other things the way I want.

Adjusted Forecast = 'sheet1'[Baseline Forecast]*(1+'Adjustment Parameter'[Adjustment Parameter Value]/100)

Adjustment Forecast.PNG
4 REPLIES 4
dmartiprev
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to create a new data table in Power BI using this measure you just created so i can get it at a base level using the summarizecolumn function?  = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Sheet1'[Date],"Original Hours",average('sheet1'[Baseline Forecast]),"Adj Hours", 'sheet'[Adjusted Forecast])

I need to get the adjusted forecast at a base level so can plug this adjusted forecast number (hours) into a formula that calculates a new sales forecast by date that i can sum all the date sales forecasts into a monthly, quarterly, or annual sales forecast.  If I end up not getting the adjusted hours forecast at the base date level, the measure is either summing or averaging all dates' hours which will not work for my formula.  I need the sales formula to calculate an answer for each date that i can later sum, not come up with an answer right away because i don't what the measure you created ends up giving me.

dmartiprev
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry this is not a solution that works for what I am doing.  This could work if it generated a new table with base data that changes when we adjust the slicer settings.  I need to build a formula at the base level that i can then sum all the individual period solutions into a total.  When i use a measure it either sums or averages the solulutions  for all periods for the formula which gives a incorrect answer.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @dmartiprev ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create calculated table.

Table 2 = GENERATESERIES(0,1,0.01)

vyangliumsft_0-1645168008919.png

2. Create measure.

Adjusted Forecast =
var _select=SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Value])
var _sum=SUMX('Table','Table'[Baseline Forcast])
return
 _sum*( 1+_select)

3. Result:

Take [Value] as the slicer.

vyangliumsft_1-1645168008932.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dmartiprev , You can not use slicer value in a new column, you have to create a measure using sumx to have line-level values

Adjusted Forecast =Sumx( 'sheet1', 'sheet1'[Baseline Forecast]*(1+[Adjustment Parameter Value Measure]/100) )

assuming Adjustment Parameter is what if parameter - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-what-if

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors