Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohnSonn
Frequent Visitor

Cannot convert text to numbers in a calculated column

Hi, this is my first post here.

I am trying to create a calculated column that extracts the first two letters of a postcode or first letter of a postcode if the second digit is a number.

Power query however stores the entire thing as text and although value works in excel it does not work in power query.

This is the formula I have tried:

=LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],1)&IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1),"",RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1))

However this always gives me error because VALUE(RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1) returns an error since the column contains part text and numbers. Even if I create a new column using RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1) and then take the VALUE of this columns I still get an error.

In my desperation I tried using this:

=IF(RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)=OR("9",OR(OR(OR("3","4"),OR("1","2")),OR(OR("5","6"),OR("7","8")))),"",RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1))

But this does not work either. Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have fixed the error, this is the calculated column I should be using:

=LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],1)&IF(RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="0" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="1" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="2" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="3" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="4" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="5" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="6"|| RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="7" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="8" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="9", "", RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @JohnSonn 

try a column

Column = 
var _secondSymbol = MID(December_Entry[Postcode];2;1)
return
if (NOT(ISERROR(VALUE(_secondSymbol)));BLANK();_secondSymbol)

or (worse)

Column = 
var _secondSymbol = MID(December_Entry[Postcode];2;1)
return
if (_secondSymbol IN {"0";"1";"2";"3";"4";"5";"6";"7";"8";"9"};BLANK();_secondSymbol)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
JohnSonn
Frequent Visitor

Hi there az38,

I have tried implementing the code that you gave me into the 'Custom Column' function but I am getting various errors.

Can you please tell me where I should enter these lines of code?

I have fixed the error, this is the calculated column I should be using:

=LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],1)&IF(RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="0" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="1" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="2" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="3" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="4" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="5" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="6"|| RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="7" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="8" || RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1)="9", "", RIGHT(LEFT(December_Entry[Postcode],2),1))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors