Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UBComma
Helper III
Helper III

Can Tabular Editor 3 read parameter values?

Does anyone know if Tabular Editor is able to read parameter values from the model?

I am creating a Power BI model that is made up primarily of parameter values that interact with each other. There are no data tables in the model other than a list of years. I like to write DAX in Tabular Editor but it doesn't seem to read SELECTEDVALUE when I have a slider selection in the model. For example, I have a measures like this:

Total Gross Square Feet Value = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Total Gross Square Feet'[Total Gross Square Feet] , 999)
and 
Cost/SF Level 1 Value = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Cost/SF Level 1'[Cost/SF Level 1], 100 )

So I write a another measure that multiplies the two together:
Cost Level 1 = [Total Gross Square Feet Value] * [Cost/SF Level 1 Value]

If I run this in Tabular Editor, and put the result in { }, it does not return a value, but it works fine in PBI. So, I am just wondering if there's a way to get TE to read the parameter values, or if that's not possible.

Thanks in advance (BTW, I'm using TE3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

I don't think its possible for Tabular Editor to read the selections in slicers, but you can simulate it using TREATAS and variables. e.g. if you had a date slicer and a color slicer you could emulate the user selections with something like

DEFINE
    VAR myFilter =
        TREATAS (
            { ( 2022, 6, "Red" ) },
            'Date'[Year],
            'Date'[Month number],
            'Product'[Colour]
        )

EVALUATE
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( 'Product'[Brand], myFilter, "Sales Amount", [Sales Amount] )

You can use multiple filters in SUMMARIZECOLUMNS, so you could potentially have one filter per slicer rather than combining them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
UBComma
Helper III
Helper III

@johnt75 , Thanks, that's a great suggestion and will work for what I'm trying to do. I appreciate your input!

johnt75
Super User
Super User

I don't think its possible for Tabular Editor to read the selections in slicers, but you can simulate it using TREATAS and variables. e.g. if you had a date slicer and a color slicer you could emulate the user selections with something like

DEFINE
    VAR myFilter =
        TREATAS (
            { ( 2022, 6, "Red" ) },
            'Date'[Year],
            'Date'[Month number],
            'Product'[Colour]
        )

EVALUATE
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( 'Product'[Brand], myFilter, "Sales Amount", [Sales Amount] )

You can use multiple filters in SUMMARIZECOLUMNS, so you could potentially have one filter per slicer rather than combining them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors