Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculation Groups: time intelligence for actual vs forecast vs budget

Hi Community,

What I am looking to create is a table/matrix that compares a full P&L for actuals, forecast, budget, and last year's results all of which can be seen on a WTD, MTD, QTD, and YTD basis.

Below is a screenshot of what I am looking to do:

gordo_c_123_0-1655155929703.png

I have all the base and time intelligence written using the measure branching technique. This has been very inefficient because I have a lot of repetitive measures that change a few variables along with the SWITCH measure to create the visual P&L. I believe calculation group(s) would be the most effective strategy to achieve this result.

What is the best approach for this solution? Are multiple calculation groups required?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

//What is the best approach for this solution? Are multiple calculation groups required?

According to your description yes, four calculation groups are needed.

Hope this helps.

DAX Calculation Groups for Time Intelligence

Understanding the interactions between composite models and calculation groups

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-cgao-msft 

Thank you for your response. This was a great article however I could not get the PY and YOY measures to work correctly.

Could you clarify what you mean when you say I need four calculation groups? I assume they would be WTD, MTD, QTD, and YTD. If so, what would this look like in tabular editor?

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors