Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rachaelwalker
Resolver III
Resolver III

Calculating utilization percentage based off 8 hour workday

I am trying to calculate the percentage of utilized hours based on a 8 hour work day. The formula I am using though is returning the same percentage for every record. Is there another formula I could use? If works fine for my billable hours which is a native fields in the table. 

Utilized Hours is a calculated column based on data from another table. 

Utilized Hours = 
  VAR __WorkTypeID = [TimeEntries.workType.id]
  VAR __UtilizationFlag = MAXX(FILTER('WorkTypes',[WorkTypes.id]=__WorkTypeID),[UtilizationFlag])
RETURN
  IF(__UtilizationFlag,'TimeEntries'[TimeEntries.actualHours],0)

Utilized % 

Utilized % = DIVIDE(sum(TimeEntries[Utilized Hours]),countrows(summarize('TimeEntries','TimeEntries'[TimeEntries.timeStart],'TimeEntries'[TimeEntries.member.id]))*8)

Results

rachaelwalker_0-1622561676217.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to get it to work properly using my original formula. I was using a calculated column when it should have been a measure. User error. =X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
krishna0
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

You're using DIVIDE(SUM()) - this will give you the exact result you expected, one stable value for whole column.

If you need to have only utilized % per one row (as I assume, correct me if I am wrong) out of utilized hours and assuming the 8 hour day wouldn't it be easier to simply DIVIDE([Utilized Hours], 8)?

Best regards,

We want to see daily utilization for individual employees and for all employees per day based on everyone works an 8 hour day... My original formula is working for my billable hours so I dont understand why it is not working for my Utilized hours. They only difference between billable hours and utilized hours, is I can see billable hours in power query but not utilized (sorry still learning). I also added your formula 

rachaelwalker_0-1622653812404.png

I was able to get it to work properly using my original formula. I was using a calculated column when it should have been a measure. User error. =X

Another issue using my formula for Utilized Hours is the line graph is flat line. Billable reflects properly using same formula. Any ideas?

rachaelwalker_0-1622662788316.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors