Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating average based on range of dates in another table

Hello,

I have issues with figuring out how to calculate average of values for a fiscal year based on two date columns that are in another table.

There are 3 tables total:

1.  Department Name, Date, Start Date, End Date.

Columns Start and End date are a range of a fiscal year. Each department has a different start and end dates of a fiscal year.

There is one row for every month available for each department.

Table 1 filters table 2, many to many relationship from Department to Department Name.

2.  Department Name, Date, Average of Values.

There is one row for every month available for each department.

3. Calendar table which filters table no. 2.

I wrote a following calculation but it obviously doesn't work with fiscal year dates being in a different table: 

CALCULATE(
    AVERAGE('Monthly value'[MonthAVG]), DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date].[Date], MIN('Months with FY'[FYFrom]), MAX('Months with FY'[FYTo])))

I tried adding a column to table 1 to include average of monthly value from table 2, but I failed to do that with RELATED. I tried adding inactive relationships between two tables but can't find a working configuration with USERELATIONSHIP.

Basically I try to create a measure that will display average for an entire fiscal year for a given department if a date within that fiscal year range is selected on a slicer. For example : Fiscal year is 05.2021 - 04.2022; if a user selects any month in that range a measure will display an average for an entire year.
2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think this can help

Average of Rolling, Average of Snapshots: https://youtu.be/_pZRdLAJxxA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for that. Unfortunately I was not able to find a working way of connecting those two tables together. I understand it is a matter of creating a correct inactive relationship between dates columns. I tried including userelationships in formula but to no avail. I am not able to find a proper way to have this calculation include a part that would allow for it to get filtered by my calendar.

I attach a screenshot of a model. I tried playing with inactive relationships beween calendar date and FYFrom, FYTo, MM-YYYY

nik899_0-1669669048398.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors