Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

msmays5
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating Measure from Two Factless Fact Tables with Dimension

I have the below model. Each artcle has two type of tags: Geography and Topic. I'm trying to calculate the # of Articles each country has for each topic. While I feel like this should be easy, I'm struggling for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Power BI Community.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @msmays5 

With your tables/relationships set up as they are, you could write a measure as follows:

# Articles filtered by Country and Topic = 
CALCULATE ( 
    COUNTROWS ( Article ),
    CROSSFILTER ( 'Articles by Geography'[Article ID], Article[Article ID], Both ),
    CROSSFILTER ( 'Topic'[Article ID], Article[Article ID], Both )
)

This measure assumes that you would be using 'Zone Leads Mapping'[Country] and 'Article Keywords'[Keyword ID] as filters on your visual.

The CROSSFILTER function with the Both argument is used to temporarily switch the relationships between your factless fact tables and Article to bidirectional, for the purpose of this measure. This effectively allows filters on 'Zone Leads Mapping' and 'Article Keywords' to filter the Article table.

Simple example attached for reference.

An alternative would be many:many relationships but I"m guessing you'd prefer not to do that given your model's setup.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @msmays5 

With your tables/relationships set up as they are, you could write a measure as follows:

# Articles filtered by Country and Topic = 
CALCULATE ( 
    COUNTROWS ( Article ),
    CROSSFILTER ( 'Articles by Geography'[Article ID], Article[Article ID], Both ),
    CROSSFILTER ( 'Topic'[Article ID], Article[Article ID], Both )
)

This measure assumes that you would be using 'Zone Leads Mapping'[Country] and 'Article Keywords'[Keyword ID] as filters on your visual.

The CROSSFILTER function with the Both argument is used to temporarily switch the relationships between your factless fact tables and Article to bidirectional, for the purpose of this measure. This effectively allows filters on 'Zone Leads Mapping' and 'Article Keywords' to filter the Article table.

Simple example attached for reference.

An alternative would be many:many relationships but I"m guessing you'd prefer not to do that given your model's setup.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger Thanks so much, that worked! You mentioned, "With your tables/relationships set up as they are...." Do you think there is a better way to approach this? I'm still a bit inexperienced on the data modeling side, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

@msmays5 You're welcome!

Actually the way you've set up your model is the traditional way of handling many-to-many relationships, which is great!

I was wondering whether explicit many-to-many relationships would help, but I would actually avoid those where possible. The only change I would suggest is making the relationships between 'Articles by Geography' & Article and Topic & Article bidirectional.

This would mean 'Zone Leads Mapping' and 'Article Keywords' can filter the Article table without use of the CROSSFILTER function, and shouldn't cause any unintended problems with the model from what I can see.

So you can just write

# Articles =
COUNTROWS ( Article )

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors