Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating Growth vs Qtr of previous yr in one table (Q1 CY vs Q4 LY)

Hi, 
So I have a sales table and date table. I want to summarize the quarterly growths vs the same quarter in previous years + I want to calculate the QoQ growth (all in one table).
The format is as in table below. What I am struggling with is calculating the growth in Q1 vs Q4 of previous year. How do I make a measure that does that?

Year Filter:20XX               
 Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   
 vs Y-1vs Y-2vs Y-3vs LQvs Y-1vs Y-2vs Y-3vs Lqvs Y-1vs Y-2vs Y-3vs Lqvs Y-1vs Y-2vs Y-3vs Lq
Brand A                
Brand B                
Brand C                
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can use Time intelligence with help from Date table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),PREVIOUSQUARTER(('Date'[Date])))

Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))

trailing 4 QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-4,QUARTER))

trailing QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))

Last Year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-4,QUARTER)))

Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TlVx7P0A0

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can use Time intelligence with help from Date table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),PREVIOUSQUARTER(('Date'[Date])))

Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))

trailing 4 QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-4,QUARTER))

trailing QTR = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))

Last Year same QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-4,QUARTER)))

Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TlVx7P0A0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,
Thank you for your response.
I have tried dateadd type measures, but they are not working. I think probably because of the Year filter on the page & quarter fiter in the table column. I need a measure to overcome this. 
I m getting results for all columns except for 'Q1 of current yr vs Q4 of previous year' column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors