Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated column failing scheduled refresh on Powerbi.com (Working fine in Power BI Desktop?)

Hi,

I have an issue with one of my reports and dashboards published on powerbi.com.

This report and its dashboard is linked to datasets from Sharepoint Folder, OData Feed and Azure Table Storage, and scheduled for refresh every day. For some reason, one of the caluclated columuns that simply calculates amount x price = sales value fails after every refresh. The refresh itself does not give any errors. The follow error message appears in the visual were the calculated column is used:

"The query referenced calculated column 'fact_Ordre_Increase'[Amount x price] which does not hold any data because evaluation of one of the rows caused an error.".

What makes this odd, is that if I do a manual refresh in Power BI Desktop from the same data sources, everything works fine. 

When I try re-publish the same updated report to PowerBI.com, the same report and dashboard in PowerBI.com works fine again. The next day, after the scheduled is refresh is finished, it crashes again due to the same calculated column error. 

How is this possible, when this calculated column gives no error after refreshing in Power BI Desktop? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous , Yes this can, it should give some message. You can also change data type in power query or in column tools and check

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LudvikaLad

Hi,

2023 now, has anyone been able to solve this matter?
@amitchandak - have you seen anything alike?

nancyj
Regular Visitor

Hi,
As it's 2021 now and I face the same issue... Is there any SOLVED solution? I googled for 2 days now and could not find any solved solution...
Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did just discover one mistake I made, and this was that the amount column was formated as text, while the price column was formatted as decimal number. Power BI Desktop seemed to figure this out, giving out a decimal number for the amount x price calculated column. Can this be the reason why the calculated column is failing after auto-updating in PowerBi.com? 

@Anonymous , Yes this can, it should give some message. You can also change data type in power query or in column tools and check

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I tried changing the format and republishing again, but now it gives en error anyways in Powerbi.com. I find it odd that a calculated column can work in Power BI Desktop and not in Powerbi.com, but I managed to use some standard filters for a workaround for the problem. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors