Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edcdcpowerbi
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate with measures

I am trying to create a measure which returns all 'ClientIDs' with a higher final score. 
I have Two measures 'Initial Score' & 'Final Score, the DAX for them is below 

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),'Client[Stage] = "Final")

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),'Client[Stage] = "Initial")

I now wish to create measure the third measure which return all the 'ClientIDs' that have a higher final score.

A bit lost on how to go about it, this is what i currently have which does not work. 

Would appreciate any help and advice

CALCULATE( COUNT( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@edcdcpowerbi ,

Try like

CALCULATE( COUNTX(filter(values( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] ), [Client ID] ))

if needed add a filter in these two too

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),filter('Client , 'Client[Stage] = "Final"))

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),filter('Client , 'Client[Stage] = "Initial") )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@edcdcpowerbi ,

Try like

CALCULATE( COUNTX(filter(values( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] ), [Client ID] ))

if needed add a filter in these two too

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),filter('Client , 'Client[Stage] = "Final"))

CALCULATE(SUM('Client')'[Total Score]),filter('Client , 'Client[Stage] = "Initial") )

Thankyou, that works perfectly, are you ok to give a breakdown as to what is happening in the measure, I'm new to DAX so would love to understand more!

We have basically three functions at work here. Separated by colour.

COUNTX(filter(values( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] ), [Client ID] ))

Let's break it down from the innermost arguments:

• values( 'Client'[ID]) - gives us a list of unique values from the column 'Client'[ID]

• filter(values( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] ) - Now that we have a list of unique values of 'Client'[ID], we filtered these values where the condition '[Final Score] > [Initial Score]' holds true using the filter() function.
  • COUNTX(filter(values( 'Client'[ID]) , [Final Score] > [Initial Score] ), [Client ID] )) - This function simply gives the count of the filtered values of 'Client'[ID] received from the filter() function mentioned above.

In this we we find the count of 'Client'[ID]) where [Final Score] > [Initial Score].

In case you need to understand in detail each of these functions you can use dax.guide 
Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors