Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kostask
Helper II
Helper II

Calculate the ranking and cumulative contribution in calculated columns

Hi guys!

I'm trying to figure out the following problem, by creating calculated columns on my original table, and not measures.

a.PNG

So I have many rows with sold materials. Each row contains material and sales amount (B).

I created the total sales by material (C)  which came to every row.

I also created the material's contribution to total sales (D) for every row also.

What I miss, is to create the ranking of every material based on its contribution (Column E) and finally (I guess the most tricky) the cumulative contribution of every material, based on its ranking (1st, 1st+2nd, 1st+2nd+3rd, etc..)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanx

Kostas

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @kostask 
You can try this formula.
Cumulative materials =
VAR CurrentRank = 'Sales'[Material Ranking]
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Material Contribution ),
FILTER ( Sales, 'Sales'[Material Ranking] <= CURRENTRANK )
)

How to get your question answered quickly 

SanketBhagwat
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @kostask .

To calculate Ranking of material you can use,
Rank=RANKX(table,table[Material Contribution]).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the remaining calculations are not too difficult but why don't you calculate all of this in Power Query?

@Anonymous, I want to create calculated columns, because I want after that to apply some filter scenarios, and for me is easier to handle. If you could calculate the cumulative materials contribution based on ranking (column f) you would help me a lot.
thanx

Kostas

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kostask 

Calculated columns, especially in fact tables, should be avoided at all costs because such columns do not participate in the data compressing phase and thus they tables are not optimally compressed, hence DAX queries will not run at the maximum speed possible. This rule is especially important in models with fact tables that contain millions and millions of rows. Columns should always be calculated either in the source system and then brought over into Power BI or they should be calculated in Power Query (that's what this tool is for). Surely it's not hard at all to do all your calculations in Power Query. I could create the code for you but not right now as I'm at work 🙂 If you wait a bit, I'll give you M code that you'll be able to use in Power Query on your data. Up to you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors