Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate multiple time averages in one measure (YD, 7D, 28D, 84D, 7DLY)

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this query. 

I'm trying to create a single measure with multiple date calculations and an output. 

The aim is to compare date periods for orders including Yesterday, Last 7 Days, Last 4 Weeks, Last 8 Weeks, Last 12 Weeks, Last 7 Days (LY).

I have a customer order table called orderCidOidShopify which houses order level data (dates, order_id, customer_id...). I also have supporting tables that groups those orders into filterable dimensions like 445 cal, gender, country etc.

I have been able to do the majority through seperate meausre like the one below:

7 Day Avg (order) = DIVIDE(CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT( orderCidOidShopify[order_id] ),
        FILTER ( 'orderCidOidShopify', orderCidOidShopify[day] < max(orderCidOidShopify[day]) && orderCidOidShopify[day] >= max(orderCidOidShopify[day])-7 )
    ),7)

Which has outputted the following example:

image.png
However, if I want to do this for orders, revenue, traffic etc. I will end up with so many individual measures which isn't even considering if I wish to group into weekly or monthly period comparisons.

I'm hoping there is a way to create a single measure covering the date comps and also calculates the delta %. i would then have a meausre for each metric instead of a measure for each date comp and metric. The aim is to output like the following:

image.png

I would then have a sheet which has these tables in multiple metrics and even into small multiples. 

The main thing I am really struggling with is being able to do the calculation in a single measure.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This seems like a perfect use case for a calculation group. Here is the documentation about the matter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprodu...

By creating the calaculations using SELECTEDMEASURE. You can get the output you described. 

Ping me with @ if you have questions about the topic.

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This seems like a perfect use case for a calculation group. Here is the documentation about the matter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprodu...

By creating the calaculations using SELECTEDMEASURE. You can get the output you described. 

Ping me with @ if you have questions about the topic.

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Helped a lot. Looks like PBI doesn't allow custom labels like in tableau but this has helped get the majority ticked off. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors