Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

codruta1902
Regular Visitor

Calculate min value of a column then select to return corresponding text value from another column.

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a DAX formula that would return city name (need to use "card visual") by calculating the minimum value of a numeric column. And in case 2 cities have same value to select the first value. In below example for the Card Visual I wanted to have the city "San Roque". 

pbicc.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jppv20
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @codruta1902 ,

Try this measure:

MinQuantity = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[city]),TOPN(1,'Table','Table'[TotalPollutantQuantity],ASC))

Result:
jppv20_0-1634216536704.png

Jori

If I answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Connect on Linkedin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jppv20
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @codruta1902 ,

I'm sorry but I it is not really clear to me what is not working with the TopN. Also, when I copy your formula I receive an error. Can you explain a bit more?

Hi,

I shared a printscreen below. Something is not calculating correct -> try to replace for the table where is country/city/totalpollutant instead of "Don't Summarize" with min of TotalPollutantQuantity.  Maybe issue comes because are different values for different dates? 

And you can download pbix file from here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RmitcIJtDbvruahf7UdQKOxaS9ysMMQ-?usp=sharing 

pbicccc.png

Sorry, formula I sent had mistake, was missin these '' for table.

MinQuantity2 =
VAR MinPollutant =
MINX('Table','Table'[TotalPollutantQuantity])
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SELECTEDVALUE ('Table'[city]),
'Table'[TotalPollutantQuantity] = MinPollutant,
KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('Table'[city]))
)

Thank you very much!  🙂

Hi @codruta1902 ,

If you change "Top 5" to "Bottom 5" for the chart you will get this result:

jppv20_0-1634282359168.png

For the card, what is the desired output there?

Hi,

Thank you very much for this. I really appreciate it!

I just wanted that all 3 visuals (card, table, and chart (with top5) would show the same result (the correct one), to display the cleansest city (min pollutant).

_For the chart to show same result as the card have to use "Min" of TotalPollutantQuantity.
_For the table to show same results I have to use "Don't Summarize" TotalPollutantQuantity.

_But if I use a Matrix Table as there "Don't Summarize" is not available have to use also  "Min" of TotalPollutantQuantity.

Your first answer was perfect and will accept it as solution, the chart and table were showing different results and I was not understanding what is happening, until I chaged for the table to have from Min to "Don't Summarize".

Hi again,

Just in case you have time, if I want to create a card with average value for same dataset, replacing the "Min" with "Average" in your formula, I get the error on the card "Average cannot work with values of type String", what would be the workaround for the measure?

@codruta1902 

For calculating average value you can use AVERAGE(Table'[TotalPollutantQuantity])

jppv20
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @codruta1902 ,

Try this measure:

MinQuantity = CALCULATE(MIN('Table'[city]),TOPN(1,'Table','Table'[TotalPollutantQuantity],ASC))

Result:
jppv20_0-1634216536704.png

Jori

If I answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Connect on Linkedin

Hi,
First I want to thank you so much for working on this. I am a beginner.
Something is strange with TopN because it looks is not cheking complete dataset, even if I use it on a chart and apply TopN on "page filter" it gives different result if I select TopN 1 item or 5 items. 

Below formula returns "blank" and works only if I filter some of the countries.
What should be added to select first value for the "card visual", in case 2 cities have same value?

MinQuantity =
VAR MinPollutant =
MINX(Table,Table[TotalPollutantQuantity])
RETURN
CALCULATE (
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[city]),
Table[TotalPollutantQuantity] = MinPollutant,
KEEPFILTERS(VALUES(Table[city]))
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors