Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DimaMD
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Calculate data for every week in matrix

Hello community!

I need help. In our example we have three tables: sales, costs and budget. Sales table has data for every day, cost and budget both have data for 1 date, which means a plan for 1 month, so for that reason I made a mesure that calculate budget and costs for each day depends on quantity of days in month.

How can we calculate budget and costs, so we can see results of weeks? As we can see on scrn2 table doesnt calculate this, instead we have empty cells

Complete table has data for several years.

Please help me do the right calculation to solve this task

Example file

Thank you for your like and decision

Greetings from Ukraine

To help me grow PayPal: embirddima@gmail.com
6 REPLIES 6
ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,
It might be a bit difficult to calculate if you only have cost and budget data for one day. So, I think the easiest way to solve this is to allocate the budget and costs to day level in powerquery. 

The additional steps would be something like this:

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Appended Query", "DaysInMonth", each Date.DaysInMonth([Date])),
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "DateList", each List.Numbers(1,[DaysInMonth])),
#"Expanded DateList" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "DateList"),
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded DateList", "DailySum", each [Value]/[DaysInMonth]),
#"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom3", "Newdate", each #date(Date.Year([pvm]),Date.Month([pvm]),[DateList])as date),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom4",{{"DailySum", type number}, {"Newdate", type date}})

This way you can allocate the data for each day of the year and from there the calculation works like it does with your Sales data. I hope this helps you to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting this as a solution!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @ValtteriN . Thank you for reply. I didn't fully understand the advice about powerquery. Could you please make an example file based on our example that is attached below?

Example file

Greetings from Ukraine

Hi,
Due to information security reasons I am not able to dowload your example file. However, I made a more complete example on how to make yearly budget into a daily one by using powerquery.

Example Data:

ValtteriN_0-1639000283742.png

Commented powerquery:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQz1DMyMDJU0lEyNAABpVgdkKgRTBTKN0bjm6DxTdH4Zmh8czS+BRrfEo1vaIAuYIgugOTEWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Budget = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Budget", Int64.Type}}),
#"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Changed Type",{"Budget"}), //Here I fill the yearly budget to every month
#"Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filled Down", {{"Budget", each _ / 12, type number}}), //Since now it is on a monthly level. I divide the budget with 12
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Divided Column", "DaysInMonth", each Date.DaysInMonth([Date])), //Here I add the amount of days for every month
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "DateList", each List.Numbers(1,[DaysInMonth])), //Now I make a list of values based on previous step
#"Expanded DateList" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "DateList"), //Here the list is expanded
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded DateList", "DailySum", each [Budget]/[DaysInMonth]), //Now we transform monthly budget to a daily one
#"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom3", "Newdate", each #date(Date.Year([Date]),Date.Month([Date]),[DateList])as date), //Here I add a proper Date column
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom4",{{"DailySum", type number}, {"Newdate", type date}}) // Some data type changes
in
#"Changed Type1"

End result:

ValtteriN_1-1639000579013.png

HI @ValtteriN , 
your knowledge of power query is excellent but,
It is difficult for me to understand how I should implement this, the problem is that I take data from the OLAP system. 
In addition to the date, I have budget items
My complete tables contain the following data

Data.YearData.Mounthid organizationid. unitArticle budgetBudget
202101.01.2021123321Article 1120000
202101.01.2021123321Article 2100000

I understand that the Request has to convert my table.

Greetings from Ukraine

Hi,

Here is how you can chage that kind of data to daily budget:

Example:

ValtteriN_0-1639046657563.png

Steps:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQz1DMyMDJU0lEyNAABIMOzJDXXUClWB1XWCEnWSCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Budget = _t, Item = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Budget", Int64.Type}}),
//Add amount of months
#"MonthlistS" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Monthlist", each List.Numbers(1,12)), //create list
#"months2"= Table.ExpandListColumn(#"MonthlistS", "Monthlist"), //Here I fill the yearly budget to every month
#"Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(months2, {{"Budget", each _ / 12, type number}}), //Since now it is on a monthly level. I divide the budget with 12
#"NewDate1"= Table.AddColumn(#"Divided Column", "Newdate1", each #date(Date.Year([Date]),[Monthlist],1)as date), //Create date from month
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(NewDate1,{{"Newdate1", type date}}),

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "DaysInMonth", each Date.DaysInMonth([Newdate1])), //Here I add the amount of days for every month
#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "DateList", each List.Numbers(1,[DaysInMonth])), //Now I make a list of values based on previous step
#"Expanded DateList" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "DateList"), //Here the list is expanded
#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded DateList", "DailySum", each [Budget]/[DaysInMonth]), //Now we transform monthly budget to a daily one
#"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom3", "Newdate", each #date(Date.Year([Date]),Date.Month([Newdate1]),[DateList])as date), //Here I add a proper Date column
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom4",{{"DailySum", type number}, {"Newdate", type date}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"Date", "Budget", "Monthlist", "Newdate1", "DaysInMonth", "DateList"}) // Some data type changes and clean up
in
#"Removed Columns"

End result:

ValtteriN_1-1639046741089.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DimaMD , Having week and year in you table should help in that

new columns like

Week Start date = 'Date'[Date]+-1*WEEKDAY('Date'[Date],2)+1
Week End date = 'Date'[Date]+ 7-1*WEEKDAY('Date'[Date],2)
Week Number = WEEKNUM([Date],2)
Week = if('Date'[Week Number]<10,'Date'[Year]*10 & 'Date'[Week Number],'Date'[Year]&'Date'[Week Number])
Week Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[Week Start date],,ASC,Dense)
Week name = [Week Start date] & " to "& [Week End date]

in case you need to compare

Power BI — Week on Week and WTD
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-wtd-questions-time-intelligence-4-5-98c30fab69d3
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-La...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAesWxYgJ8

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors