Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhenscheid1
Frequent Visitor

Calculate average weekly sales of current quarter to estimate quarter sales

Hello, I am trying to calculate average weekly sales of the current fiscal quarter so that I can use those results to estimate what the quarterly results will be.  I think I am making this more difficult that what it needs to be, but am coming up at a loss to figure this out.

In excel, I could go to the formula and simply divide out by the number of the current fiscal week to get the average, but I want to be able to do that automatically within Power BI using a dax formula.

Below is a screen shot of the current numbers.  And so for quarter 3, I want to take the total ($1,804,215 so far) and divide that by the number of fiscal weeks (5) to get my average.  Easy enough to do with a formula, but when fiscal week 32 rolls around, I want to have the same formula calulate the average.  I would then want that average to be in its own column so that it can represent the pace for that quarter.   When the 4th quarter starts, I would need the process to start over.

Thanks in advance

jhenscheid1_0-1659388727730.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your caledar table looks like, but I tried to create a sample pbix file like below.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file. I hope the below can provide some ideas on how to create a solution for your dataset.

Untitled.png

Avg quarterly: =
AVERAGEX (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALCULATETABLE (
            SUMMARIZE ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Fiscal Quarter], 'Calendar'[Fiscal Week] ),
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Fiscal Quarter] )
        ),
        "@sales", [Sales measure:]
    ),
    [@sales]
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

jhenscheid1
Frequent Visitor

Hello, @Jihwan_Kim .  See below screen shot.  I was able to reach out to one of our developers who solved this so I will mark this as solved.  For your reference, below are the DAX measurements they created for this.

jhenscheid1_0-1660309675208.png

Weekly Avg

jhenscheid1_1-1660311060210.png

Quarter Pace

jhenscheid1_2-1660311104098.png

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jhenscheid1
Frequent Visitor

Hello, @Jihwan_Kim .  See below screen shot.  I was able to reach out to one of our developers who solved this so I will mark this as solved.  For your reference, below are the DAX measurements they created for this.

jhenscheid1_0-1660309675208.png

Weekly Avg

jhenscheid1_1-1660311060210.png

Quarter Pace

jhenscheid1_2-1660311104098.png

Thanks

jhenscheid1
Frequent Visitor

@Jihwan_Kim Thank you for the help!  This solution worked.  Much appreciated.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your caledar table looks like, but I tried to create a sample pbix file like below.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file. I hope the below can provide some ideas on how to create a solution for your dataset.

Untitled.png

Avg quarterly: =
AVERAGEX (
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALCULATETABLE (
            SUMMARIZE ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Fiscal Quarter], 'Calendar'[Fiscal Week] ),
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Fiscal Quarter] )
        ),
        "@sales", [Sales measure:]
    ),
    [@sales]
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim Hello.  I present the solution you provided and the results, but was informed I needed to carry forward the average value through the following quarter.  So in my original request where I stated "I would then want that average to be in its own column so that it can represent the pace for that quarter.   When the 4th quarter starts, I would need the process to start over..."  I was wrong in that the value would need to start over.  I tried to work through the calculations you provided, but am not getting it to work.  Could you take a look for me and provide a new solution?

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry that I do not understand. Could you please provide a sample pbix file's link with Q4 data included and also with how the expected numbers/visualization look like? And then I can try to look into it to come up with a more accurate solution.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hello and sorry for the confusion.   

So the previous solution you provided allowed me to create a measure called Weekly Avg where I am able to estimate future weeks based on actuals, but it currently only calculates for the current Fiscal Quarter.  I need to carry those values forward to the next Fiscal Quarter (see screen shot).  From that I can easily calculate a value for the Quarterly Pace column. 

jhenscheid1_0-1660223791486.png

Weekly Avg Formula:

Weekly Avg =
AVERAGEX (
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALCULATETABLE (
SUMMARIZE ( 'Datefile_Yesterday', Datefile_Yesterday[Fiscal Quarter], Datefile_Yesterday[Fiscal Week] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( 'Datefile_Yesterday', Datefile_Yesterday[Fiscal Quarter] )
),
"@sales", [Netsales]
),
[@sales]
)

The other column, Cumulative Net Sales, which may be impacting the results is calculated by:

Cumulative Net Sales =
CALCULATE([Netsales],
FILTER(ALL('Datefile_Yesterday'),
Datefile_Yesterday[Transaction Date] <= MAX(Datefile_Yesterday[Transaction Date])
&& Datefile_Yesterday[Fiscal Year] = MAX(Datefile_Yesterday[Fiscal Year])
)
)

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation.

However, in your screen capture, Quart-4 NetSales is blank. May I ask how do you want to see this as a weekly average?

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors