Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbi_baller
Frequent Visitor

Calculate all new customers with a second visit

Hi,

I need to calculate the number of customers new in the previous month which have had 2 visits.

Fact table:

pbi_baller_1-1655475733465.png

I also have a date dimension joined to the fact table which has an active relationship on visit date so TREATAS or USERELATIONSHIP may need to be used.

New customer is defined by their reg date. So the dax should count customers that registered and had two visits in the previous full month. 

From the above, only customer 1 should be counted, as customer 2 didn't have a registration date in the previous month.

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @pbi_baller ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

Count =
var _table1=
SUMMARIZE(
    'Table',
    'Table'[Index],'Table'[Customer_ID],'Table'[Reg_date], 'Table'[Visits],'Table'[Visit date],
    "1",
    COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),
MONTH('Table'[Reg_date])=MONTH(TODAY())-1&&MONTH('Table'[Visit date])=MONTH(TODAY())-1&&'Table'[Customer_ID]=EARLIER('Table'[Customer_ID])),[Visit date])
)
var _table2=
ADDCOLUMNS(_table1,"2",
IF(
    [1]>=2,
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Customer_ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer_ID]=MAX('Table'[Customer_ID])&&[1]>=2))))
return
MAXX(_table2,[2])

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1655803793329.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @pbi_baller ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Create measure.

Measure =
var _lastmonth=MONTH(TODAY())-1
var _count=COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),
MONTH('Table'[Reg_date])=_lastmonth&&MONTH('Table'[Visit date])=_lastmonth&&'Table'[Customer_ID]=MAX('Table'[Customer_ID])),[Visit date])
return
IF(
    _count>=2,
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT([Customer_ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Customer_ID]=MAX('Table'[Customer_ID])&&_count>=2)))

2. Result:

vyangliumsft_0-1655793969086.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

I think I can use this if I can put it into a calculated column instead so it acts as a flag. Do I need to change the formula in any way since a calculated column will work on a row by row basis? 

Appreciate your help

Hi Liu,

Thanks for the response! Measure works when shown in a table against a set of dates - like the screenshot you provided of it working. 

However, it shows blank as standalone in say a card visual. I need it to show a single figure for all customers not on a row by row basis. 

Would I need to amend the countx function?

pbi_baller
Frequent Visitor

Bump

pbi_baller
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak @tamerj1 hopefully it's okay to tag - any ideas as top authors?

This is what I came up with but seems to show very low numbers

VAR _table = CALCULATETABLE(Fact_table, TREATAS(VALUES(dim.date[date]), Fact_table[reg_date]), previousmonth(LASTDATE(dim.date[date])) )

VAR _summary = FILTERSUMMARIZE_table, Fact_table[Customer_id], "c", COUNT(Fact_table[visits]) ), [c]>=2)

RETURN
COUNTROWS( _summary)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors