Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EMP
Advocate II
Advocate II

Calculate Previous Days Production, Ignore Slicer Date Range Limitation

Geetings. In need of help please.

I have 2 tables, a date table and a data table, relationship = 'DateTable'[Date] to 'DataTable[GLDate]. 

I have a page in BI Desktop with a date slicer ('DateTable'[Date]). For this example it's set to 9/1/22 - 9/30/22.

I want to bring in the previous days production values. The result I am able to achieve (re-created in Excel for simplicity/sensitive data) is this:

EMP_1-1674771855530.png

Where 9/1 is blank because the previous day (8/31) is outside the range of the date slicer. I've somehow managed to produce this result like 8 different ways. 

What I want is this:

EMP_2-1674771946594.png

Where the value displays in 9/1 for the prior day, despite said prior day being outside the range of the date slicer. 

I have tried creating various calculated columns and measures, no luck. Been at this for hours. 

Any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EMP
Advocate II
Advocate II

This worked for me: CALCULATE(SUM('DataTable'[Production]), 'DataTable'[Attribute1] = "specific account",DATEADD('DateTable'[Date],-1,DAY))

Thanks all!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
EMP
Advocate II
Advocate II

This worked for me: CALCULATE(SUM('DataTable'[Production]), 'DataTable'[Attribute1] = "specific account",DATEADD('DateTable'[Date],-1,DAY))

Thanks all!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@EMP You need to use ALL to break out of the slicer context (or ALLEXCEPT) and then filter back to the previous day. Something like:

Prev Day Measure =
  VAR __Date = MAX('DateTable'[Date])
  VAR __Table = ALL('Table')
  VAR __Result = SUMX(FILTER(__Table, [Date] = __Date - 1),[Value Booked])
RETURN
  __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Appreciate the input, unfortunately this did not work for me. Not sure what it brought back but it wasn't the correct values.

Here's what I entered for the measure:

Prev Day Measure = 

VAR _Date = MAX('DateTable'[Date])

VAR _Table = ALL('DataTable')

VAR _Result = SUMX(FILTER(_Table, 'DataTable'[GLDate] = _DATE -1),'DataTable'[Production])

RETURN

_Result

FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

hi @EMP 

there are multiple ways to ignore a filter context (including slicer) to a column, like adding:

ALL(DateTable'[Date])

into your code. 

What code do you have for [Pre Day]?

I tried nesting in ALL, but I must have done it wrong because the result was literally ALL (the grand total repeated on each row) - it ignored the dates completly. 

I seriously have achieved this same result like 8 different ways, but the measure I currently have is:

CALCULATE(SUM('DataTable'[Production]), 'DataTable'[Attribute1] = "specific account",DATEADD('DateTable'[Date],-1,DAY))

I tried this version with ALL, but it brings back the exact same results (9/1 = blank) as the previously mentioned measure:

CALCULATE(SUM('DataTable'[Production]), 'DataTable'[Attribute1] = "specific account",ALL('DateTable'[Date],DATEADD('DateTable'[Date],-1,DAY))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors