Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stherkildsen
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Churn / Retention rate in non-contractual setting

Hey everyone, 

I need some help to create a measure that can calculate the churn rate. 

The way i want the churn rate to be calculated is to distinctcount all the customers who bought in following period:
today () - 731  and today() -366

and see if these customers bought in that period also bought in this period: 
today()-365 and today () - 1

So bascially I want to see how many of the customers who bought between 2 and 1 years ago... also bought the last 365 days. 

E.g 1000 customers bought in this period: today () - 731  and today() -366 -> out of those 1000 customer, 300 bought within the last 365 days which equals a churn rate = 70%

But what is also important is that I want a bar chary with the month on the x axis. So when i look at september is should look the above period back from that month, and the same for august and so on. So that the churn rate changes month to month. 

Im working with an ordertable, where a customer can place several orders . I have the orderdate for all the orders:

I hope the above makes sense and someone can help me, thank you in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PaulOlding
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @stherkildsen 

There was a similar question recently.  I'd suggest the same pattern.  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Customers-without-purchases-in-gt-6-months/m-... 

So, a measure something like:

Churn Percent = 
VAR _CurrentDate = MAX('Date'[Date])
VAR _1To2YearsCustomers =
CALCULATETABLE(
    VALUES(Orders[Customer_ID]),
    DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date], _CurrentDate - 731, _CurrentDate - 366)
)
VAR _0To1YearsCustomers = 
CALCULATETABLE(
    DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date], _CurrentDate - 365, _CurrentDate)
)
VAR _LostCustomers = EXCEPT(_1To2YearsCustomers, _0To1YearsCustomers)
VAR _ChurnPct = 
DIVIDE(
    COUNTROWS(_LostCustomers),
    COUNTROWS(_1To2YearsCustomers)
)
RETURN
    _ChurnPct

I'm not sure I'm getting the calculation right for the churn percent, but you should be able to get there with the above building blocks.  If you needed to see which customers are in 2 virtual tables you can use INTERCEPT rather than EXCEPT.

View solution in original post

Hi @stherkildsen 

The VALUES function returns a unique list of values so having customers placing several orders in a day shouldn't be an issue.

On your _0To1Customers line you have a rogue '-' near the end.  Instead of '- _CurrentDate' it should be '_CurrentDate'.  However, that wouldn't be the cause of the error you're getting.  It would just mess up the results.

Your screenshot stops at the RETURN statement.  What are you returning?  If it's one of the variables that is storing a table (eg _LostCustomers) then you'll get the multiple column error.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
stherkildsen
Frequent Visitor

Ah perfect. I think i works now. What made me confused was the mistake with the - _CurrentDate bc i got 100% chunrate no matter what. But now it seems to work. Thanks :))

dvl_ctaul
Helper I
Helper I

Do you have a date dimension that connects to that order date?

If I were working on this problem I would try to construct a virtual table that summarizes customer purchases by the specified time periods. So I would have a column for customer, a column for Sum of Purchases in the last 365 days, Sum of purchases between 366 and 731 days from today. I would then write a function that gives me the Distinctcount of customers where sum of purchases in the last 365 days was > 0 and where sum of purchases between 366 and 731 days was > 0 and divide that by the distinct count of customers where sum of purchases in the last 365 days was > 0.

PaulOlding
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @stherkildsen 

There was a similar question recently.  I'd suggest the same pattern.  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Customers-without-purchases-in-gt-6-months/m-... 

So, a measure something like:

Churn Percent = 
VAR _CurrentDate = MAX('Date'[Date])
VAR _1To2YearsCustomers =
CALCULATETABLE(
    DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date], _CurrentDate - 731, _CurrentDate - 366)
)
VAR _0To1YearsCustomers = 
CALCULATETABLE(
    DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date], _CurrentDate - 365, _CurrentDate)
)
VAR _LostCustomers = EXCEPT(_1To2YearsCustomers, _0To1YearsCustomers)
VAR _ChurnPct = 
DIVIDE(
    COUNTROWS(_LostCustomers),
    COUNTROWS(_1To2YearsCustomers)
)
RETURN
    _ChurnPct

I'm not sure I'm getting the calculation right for the churn percent, but you should be able to get there with the above building blocks.  If you needed to see which customers are in 2 virtual tables you can use INTERCEPT rather than EXCEPT.

stherkildsen_0-1636666783904.png

Hey @PaulOlding , 
I think that the above measure would work. I just have one problem that it says: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected. 
I think that its maybe because a the same customer places several orders the same day, but im not sure. Can you figure that out? When i use:

Concatenatex(CALCULATETABLE(VALUES('Dynamicweb - Orders'[OrderCustomerEmail]) ,
DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date] , 'Dynamicweb - Orders'[CurrentDate] - 731, 'Dynamicweb - Orders'[CurrentDate] - 366)), 'Dynamicweb - Orders'[OrderCustomerEmail], " , ")
I get all the customers out, but in the wrong format ofc. 

Note: I have a separate calendar table that connects to orderdate

Hi @stherkildsen 

The VALUES function returns a unique list of values so having customers placing several orders in a day shouldn't be an issue.

On your _0To1Customers line you have a rogue '-' near the end.  Instead of '- _CurrentDate' it should be '_CurrentDate'.  However, that wouldn't be the cause of the error you're getting.  It would just mess up the results.

Your screenshot stops at the RETURN statement.  What are you returning?  If it's one of the variables that is storing a table (eg _LostCustomers) then you'll get the multiple column error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors