Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gezz
Regular Visitor

Bell Curve using Dax

Hi,

I have a table TTF Raw Data + Formulas Added - with a column called Average Days - I have created a measure for Mean, Median, Standard Deviation and X-3σ and X+3σ - figures below. 

Mean = 52.95652174

Median = 50 

Standard Deviation = 19.623

X-3σ = -5.92

X+3σ = 111.83

I would like to create a bell curve.

My next step was to create a measure for Normal Distribution e.g. NORM.DIST(X, Mean, Standard_dev, cumulative. But this is where I get stuck - any help is appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Gezz 

You don't want a dynamic measure(s) and a dynamic chart? This needs to be static? I thought you wanted to be able to plot such a curve for a dynamic selection of a subset of your data...

I responded to Ibendlin below - are you able to help with distributions for each unique data point?

Ideally I'd like to set it up so that when I load a whole new excel sheet it will auto update - but working on how to do a bell curve is first step 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You have your six sigma boundaries. First step is to map these out it in a new table ( or data from an existing table.  Curious how you can have negative TTF though )

Table = GENERATESERIES(-10,120)

Next you add a calculated column that computes the normal distribution

ND = NORM.DIST([Value],52.956,19.623,FALSE())

Last step is to plot it in a line chart or column chart.

lbendlin_0-1659748382888.png

lbendlin_1-1659748442635.png

Hi Inbendlin

Thanks for your help.

I created a table using GENERATESERIES and a Calculated Column. 

I have a Table with one column from with numbers -5 through to 120 and the another with the distribution values for these figures. The -5 through to 120 are the range in which all of the average days values fall within. I need the distribution values for the unique figures in my Average Days column. 

In below example you have the unique student scores and the distribution for each one - I need to do that with Average Days through DAX.

Capture.PNG

I was trying to use DAX to add TFF +  Forumlas Added [Average Days] as another column in the table but wasn't able to. 

Any suggestions?

It is not clear to me what your expected outcome is. I can not help you without usable sample data. Screenshot are not usable.

Hi Ibendlin,

I have a column called Averages Days with a series of unique values, e.g 11, 15, 42, 47, 56, 112 etc. I want to plot those with their distribution - so for each value it would be - norm.dist (11, 52.95, 19.62, false) . I would then get a value 0.0011 etc. I could then use the distribution values and the average days value in a histogram to get a skewed bell curve.

I need one column with all the distribution values and one with all the values from Average Days.

I made a table and need a column that refers to the values listed in the Average Days column which is a separate spreadsheet and then I can do a norm.dist on it I think.

TTF is average time to fill -5.92 is -3 standard deviations from the mean. It's not an actual data point. 52.95 is mean - 19.62 is standard deviation. 52.92 -3*19.62.

I have a column that I have calculated which is =networkdays in the Excel spreadsheet. That gives me my average days for each job. I've then calculated mean, median, standard deviation from that. If there's a way to auto calculate that from dates alone that would help when uploading a new report 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors