Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

djohnson
Advocate I
Advocate I

BUG? LOOKUPVALUE() limited to 5,999 matches

Background: Trying to fill-in ID values from a table [approx 11k rows] with another table [approx 11k rows] using LOOKUPVALUE(). Upon checking the results I noticed there were roughly half missing values (that I knew existed). I created the relationship between the two tables (1-1) and rechecked: still missing matches. When I looked at the exact count of the matches, it was 5,999 - very peculiar. It looks like DAX has a limit on LOOKUPVALUE() for a table - which is disturbing. I was able to switch over to using the RELATED() function since I had a relationship between the two tables.

Comments? 

2 REPLIES 2
AWolvan9
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue, big table (2 million rows), lookup value on 3 columns just didnt seem to be working. Tested it other way ( i.e. table 1 looking up table 2 rather than other way around) and lookup was able to pull values. 
Going to try creating a unique ID column, creating a relationship and using the related funciton instead. 

Edit: Made the relationship based on a unique col, and a related function did work, but interestingly the relationship also made the lookupvalue work. Lesson to learn? make a unique col and make a relationship?

This basically makes lookupvalue uesless though!!!

Ciria
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi djohnson:

I was also working with that formula but for a different goal.

Seeing what you say I think that creating a relationship and Related formula should be enough to match both tables and get what you want.

If you cannot use Relate for a problem with the relationship and the Cross filter direction maybe you can use "USERELATIONSHIP" sometimes it helps to calculate something when it is not fully connected in both sides.

Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors