Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AyubSherif
Frequent Visitor

Avg Days on the Shelf

How could I calculate the avg days on the shelf from a table like this (rows with PO number is receiving, the ones with SO number are shipments)

rec_ship_history.PNG

The way I approached this, I calculated the average days since received and subtracted the average days since shipped. The issue is when not all the received qty is shipped. If I have qty still sitting on the shelf, it skewes the average. The error increase with the ratio of onhand qty / shipped qty.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AyubSherif 

According to your description, you want to judge whether all the things of a product have been shipped according to the [qty] field and. If the delivery is completed, the number of days between [date] and today () is taken; if the delivery is not completed, the number of days between the current [date] and the date value of the largest so number is taken. Right?

Here are the steps you can follow:

(1)This is my test data:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1662945711918.png

(2)We can create a calculated column : “Days Since”

Days Since =
VAR _current_id = 'Table'[Product ID]
VAR _current_PO = 'Table'[PO Number]
VAR _current_SO = 'Table'[SO Number]
VAR _pro_PO =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Product ID] = _current_id
                && 'Table'[PO Number] <> BLANK ()
        ),
        [QTY]
    )
VAR _pro_SO =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
                && 'Table'[SO Number] <> BLANK ()
        ),
        [QTY]
    )
VAR _pro_max_SO =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
        ),
        [Date]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        'Table'[PO Number] = BLANK (),
        DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[Date], TODAY (), DAY ),
        IF (
            _pro_PO = _pro_SO,
            DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[Date], _pro_max_SO, DAY )
        )
    )

(3)Then we can meet your need , the result is as follow:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1662945711924.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AyubSherif 

According to your description, you want to judge whether all the things of a product have been shipped according to the [qty] field and. If the delivery is completed, the number of days between [date] and today () is taken; if the delivery is not completed, the number of days between the current [date] and the date value of the largest so number is taken. Right?

Here are the steps you can follow:

(1)This is my test data:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1662945711918.png

(2)We can create a calculated column : “Days Since”

Days Since =
VAR _current_id = 'Table'[Product ID]
VAR _current_PO = 'Table'[PO Number]
VAR _current_SO = 'Table'[SO Number]
VAR _pro_PO =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
                && 'Table'[PO Number] <> BLANK ()
        ),
        [QTY]
    )
VAR _pro_SO =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
        ),
        [QTY]
    )
VAR _pro_max_SO =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (
            'Table',
        ),
        [Date]
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        'Table'[PO Number] = BLANK (),
        IF (
            _pro_PO = _pro_SO,
            DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[Date], _pro_max_SO, DAY )
        )
    )

(3)Then we can meet your need , the result is as follow:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1662945711924.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you! I made some tweeks, but this was very helpful.

AyubSherif
Frequent Visitor

(1) What exactly is the "he avg days on the shelf" you want to calculate?

I am trying to calculate how long a product has stayed in our warehouse. The period from when it is received until it is shipped.

(2) The [Date] field indicates the date when the goods were received and sent, and the [QTY] field is the quantity of goods shipped. How is [Days since] calculated?

The days since is just Days since = DATEDIFF('Product History'[Date]TODAY(), DAY)

(3) How is "when not all the received qty is shipped/ qty still sitting on the shelf" judged?

Ex, when 100 items are received and only 20 shipped, I have 80 on the shelf (on hand).

For simplicity, take this table as an example:

rec_ship_history.PNG

Here is my current measure:

Avg Days On Shelf =
    VAR AVG_REC = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[Days since]*'Table'[QTY]), 'Table'[PO number] <> BLANK())
    VAR REC_QTY = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[QTY]), 'Table'[PO number] <> BLANK())
    VAR AVG_SH = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[Days since]*'Table'[QTY]), 'Table'[SO number] <> BLANK())
    VAR SH_QTY = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table','Table'[QTY]), 'Table'[SO number] <> BLANK())
RETURN
    (AVG_REC/REC_QTY)-(AVG_SH/SH_QTY)
Here is my result:
Result.PNG
Intuitively, the answer for proudct "100" should be 95 days, but my unshipped qty is skeweing my receiving avg. The answer for product "200" is correct because everything shipped out. To summarize, this is a FIFO problem. How could I implement FIFO in dax to only account for products that have shipped out? Is there a mathimatical trick to better approximate the avg? (Basically to counter the onhand qty effect on my avg).
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AyubSherif 

I'm sorry, I have a few questions about your question:

(1) What exactly is the "he avg days on the shelf" you want to calculate?

(2) The [Date] field indicates the date when the goods were received and sent, and the [QTY] field is the quantity of goods shipped. How is [Days since] calculated?

(3) How is "when not all the received qty is shipped/ qty still sitting on the shelf" judged?

(4) What data do you ultimately want the ball to have?

Can you show your sample data in the form of a table, and show us the results you want to get in the form of a table, so that we can better help you analyze the problem.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors