Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TessBroersen
Frequent Visitor

Average of cumulative values

Hi there! 🙂

I would like to calculate the average of the results of a cumulative measure that is called Quantity Cumulative. The idea is to retrieve the results of that measure from the last 90 days. So for each of those 90 days I need to retrieve the result of that Quantity Cumulative measure. The next step that needs to be taken, is to take the average of those 90 values. 

This is what the Quantity Cumulative measure looks like: 

Quantity Cumulative =
VAR DateSelectedByEndUser =
    MAX ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] )
VAR LastPhysicalDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( FACT_Vw_Inventory[Physical Date] ),
        REMOVEFILTERS ()
    )
VAR Result =
    IF (
        [Start Date] <= LastPhysicalDate,
        CALCULATE (
            [Quantity],
            Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] <= DateSelectedByEndUser
        )
    )
RETURN
    Result

I've been racking my brain for hours, but I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried multiple measures that include CALCULATE, DATESINPERIOD, AVERAGEX, etc., but nothing seems to work. A couple of examples of the measures I tried:

TEST 1 AVG Cumulative Quantity 3M =
DIVIDE(CALCULATE(
    [Quantity Cumulative],
    DATESINPERIOD (
            Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date],
            MAX ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ),
            DAY
        )
    ),
    - 90)

TEST 2 AVG Cumulative Quantity 3M =
VAR LastSelectedDate =
    MAX ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] )
VAR Period =
    DATESINPERIOD ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date], LastSelectedDate, -90, DAY )
VAR Result =
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), [Quantity Cumulative] ),
        Period
    )
RETURN
    Result

Any help is highly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TessBroersen , Make sure Dim_Calendar is marked as date table and in visual period from Dim_Calendar is used

Try

CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), CALCULATE ([Quantity], filter(all(Dim_Calendar), Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] <= max(Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date]) ))),
DATESINPERIOD ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date], MAX ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), -90, DAY )
)

cumm = CALCULATE ([Quantity], filter(all(Dim_Calendar), Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] <= max(Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date]) ) )

agv=

CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), [Cumm]),
DATESINPERIOD ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date], MAX ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), -90, DAY )
)

Why Time Intelligence Fails - Powerbi 5 Savior Steps for TI :https://youtu.be/OBf0rjpp5Hw
https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-5-key-points-to-make-time-intelligence-successful-bd52912a5b...
To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TessBroersen
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak 

Thanks for your help, it worked 🙂

The only thing that keeps surprising is me is that the two options you showed me, both have very different outcomes... 

The second option was the one that worked for me, so thanks a lot! 

TessBroersen
Frequent Visitor

Hi Amitchandak,

Thanks for your reply!

You've sent me three DAX-measures. The first one results in different numbers than the second one combined with the third. 

The measures I've tried before resulted in the same numbers however. 

I still have no idea what numbers are the correct ones to be honest. Your first option results in higher numbers for some Article Numbers, but for other Article Numbers it results in the exact same numbers as your third option does. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TessBroersen , Make sure Dim_Calendar is marked as date table and in visual period from Dim_Calendar is used

Try

CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), CALCULATE ([Quantity], filter(all(Dim_Calendar), Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] <= max(Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date]) ))),
)

cumm = CALCULATE ([Quantity], filter(all(Dim_Calendar), Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] <= max(Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date]) ) )

agv=

CALCULATE (
AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dim_Calendar[DateValue_Date] ), [Cumm]),
)

Why Time Intelligence Fails - Powerbi 5 Savior Steps for TI :https://youtu.be/OBf0rjpp5Hw
https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-5-key-points-to-make-time-intelligence-successful-bd52912a5b...
To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors