Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codestule
Helper II
Helper II

Auto-Select Slicer Value

I have a table that contains a list of people similar to below:

NameEmail
Sally Jonessally.jones@abc.com
Ed Smithed.smith@abc.com
Jose Perezjose.perez@abc.com
Juanita Clarkjuanita.clark@abc.com
Karen Falkkaren.falk@abc.com
Marcel Thompsonmarcel.thompson@abc.com
Alan Amesalan.ames@abc.com

I have a slicer (drop down) visual that I can use to show the list of people (Sally, Ed, Jose, etc.) and what I'd like to do is have the slicer (when report is accessed/loaded) change to who ever is accessing it but still allow the ability to select another person if need be.  So for instance if Karen is accessing the report the drop down will automatically show her name however if she wanted to look at the information for another associate, she could click the drop down arrow and select anyone else she wants (Alan, Marcel, Juanita, etc.)

I was able to determine who is logged in/accessing the report by using the following dax ( loggedIn = USERPRINCIPALNAME() ), however I haven't been able to find anything that would allow me to be able to automatically select the userprincipalname for the slicer.  For instance when Jose loads the report, loggedIn shows jose.perez@abc.com and I can't figure out how to make the slicer changed from the first value in the table (sally.jones@abc.com) to my variable (loggedIn).  Does anyone know if this is possible or a work around that could accomplish what I'm looking to do?  Any / all help that can be provided would be much appreciated, thanks.

Regards,

Cody

2 REPLIES 2
ribisht17
Super User
Super User

@codestule 

USERNAME /USERPRINCIPAL will always have the user name of the person logged in.

I don't think this can be handled by DAX.

There is a possibility for an Admin to switch over to other roles (as you can do in Tableau) but not with this Table approach

Regards,

Ritesh

Ritesh,

I think I understand what you're saying, let me ask this...  Is it possible to filter a table by correlating the userprincialname to a value in the table?  So for instance I have this measure:

actingsupervisor = IF(
     CALCULATE(
          HASONEVALUE(FTEs[name of supervisor]), ALLSELECTED(FTEs[employee])) = TRUE(),1,2)

I then put this measure as a filter on the visual and use it to show items when the value is 1.  This will allow me to display only the employees related to that supervisor in the visual that his this filter.  So is it possible to replace the 'FTEs[name of supervisor]' of the measure above with something like userprincipalname()?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors