Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RvdC
Frequent Visitor

Amount of Open Orders on each day of the month

I am not sure if this is possible in DAX but this is my question:

Therefore I created a simple test table with the name POWERBI_TEST_3:

PowerBI_Test_3.png

ORDERNUMBER Unique. The Order starts on one date en had Ended on a date.

I want to know on each day in January 2019 (or more months) how many Orders have de status ‘Open’. The result should look like this, I therefore created a the table with the name DateJanuary with every date in January, a rownumber and a empty column for the numbers of open orders.

I created this SQL query to do the job.

In SQL I created a The Query to do the job look like:

DECLARE @COUNTER1 INT

DECLARE @NR_OPEN_ORDERS INT

DECLARE @DATJAN DATE

SET @COUNTER1 = 1

WHILE @COUNTER1 <= (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Date_January)

BEGIN

SET @DATJAN = (SELECT Date_In_January FROM Date_January WHERE ROW_NMBR = @COUNTER1)

SET @NR_OPEN_ORDERS = (SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT ORDERNUMBER) AS AANTAL FROM POWERBI_TEST_3

WHERE (DATEDIFF(DAY, START_ORDER_DATE, @DATJAN) > 0

AND DATEDIFF(DAY, @DATJAN, END_ORDER_DATE) > 0)

OR

(DATEDIFF(DAY, START_ORDER_DATE, END_ORDER_DATE) = 0

AND START_ORDER_DATE = @DATJAN))

UPDATE Date_January

SET NR_OPEN_ORDERS = @NR_OPEN_ORDERS

WHERE Date_In_January = @DATJAN

SET @COUNTER1 = @COUNTER1 + 1

END

The end result looks like:

Date_January.png

In the SQL query I look at every record step by step per rownnumber. I don’t know if this is possible in DAX (or Power Query).

For some reason it’s not possible for me to use this SQL query. I am looking for a solution in PowerBI itself.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, this is the set-based T-SQL that does all of this at least an order of magnitude faster than the procedural code:

UPDATE jan
	SET
		  jan.NR_OPEN_ORDERS = c.OrderCount

FROM dbo.Date_January AS jan
	CROSS APPLY (
		SELECT
			count(*) AS OrderCount
		FROM dbo.PowerBI_test_3 AS pbi
		WHERE (
			pbi.Start_Order_Date <= jan.[Date_in_Jan]
			and
			jan.[Date_in_Jan] <= pbi.End_Order_Date
		)
	) AS c;

Secondly, if you have a PBI table with dates, say, Calendar, and want to know the number of open order on each day, you create a calculated column in Calendar with this formula:

[Open Orders] =
var __date = 'Calendar'[Date]
var __orderCount =
	COUNTROWS(
		filter(
			'Orders',
			'Orders'[start_order_date] <= __date
			&&
			__date <= 'Orders'[end_order_date]
		)
	)	
return
	0 + __orderCount

Best

D

Many thanks for the query and DAX script. I was not familiar with APPLY operators. Great to know now. DAX query also runs fine.

Regards Rob

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @RvdC ,

Try this measure:

_openOrders = 
VAR date_to_examine =
    MAX('calendar'[Date])
VAR number_orders =
    CALCULATE(
        DISTINCTCOUNT(orders[orderNumber]),
        KEEPFILTERS(date_to_examine > orders[startDate]),
        KEEPFILTERS(date_to_examine < orders[enddate])
    )
RETURN
    IF (ISBLANK(number_orders), 0, number_orders)

I get the following output:

openOrders.PNG

*NB* The calendar table DOES NOT/MUST NOT have a relationship with the orders table.

Good luck

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi!

I have just confirmed that the solution to all my problems is to not link the calendar table to the table I am getting the info about the open items from like you said before, but I don't understand why. Can you explain why is that the solution, please?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Roberto_Campelo ,

This is because a relationship between the calendar and orders tables will force the orders table to be filtered by each calendar date due to row context.

For example, if there is a relationship between calendar[date] and orders[start date], and if the calendar date on the row is 01/01/2022, then this filters the order table to only rows where [start date] = 01/01/2022. This prevents us from being able to evaluate our measure across the full range of [start date] and [end date] values, as we need to.

There are a couple of ways around this other than using a disconnected date table:

- You can use the CROSSFILTER() function to 'switch off' the relationship (much like USERELATIONSHIP() 'switches on' relationships).

OR

- You can use functions like ALL(), ALLEXCEPT() etc. to reopen up all the values that have been filtered out by the relationship.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Pete,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, it was really useful. Since I need to keep the relationship through the date, I used the CROSSFILTER() function and it worked perfectly. And now I understand how this row context works.

Roberto

RvdC
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick answer! I have tried the DAX script in Power BI on my Dummy dataset. It got only zeros as output in the added _openOrder2 column.

Maybe I overlooked something in the script?

_openOrders2 = VAR date_to_examine = MAX('Date_January_2'[Date_In_January])
VAR number_orders = CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT(POWERBI_TEST_3[ORDERNUMBER]);
KEEPFILTERS(date_to_examine > POWERBI_TEST_3[START_ORDER_DATE]);
KEEPFILTERS(date_to_examine < POWERBI_TEST_3[END_ORDER_DATE])
)
RETURN IF (ISBLANK(number_orders); 0; number_orders)

Best,
RVDC

@RvdC 

The DAX I provided was for a measure as stated, not a calculated column. Apologies if I've misunderstood your requirement here.

It does, however, provide the output you were looking for when applied to visualisations.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My code is for a calculated column. It's not a measure. If your code is for a calculated column, then it's wrong. If it's a measure, then... it's most likely wrong as well (because of relationships).

Advice: never use a function in DAX if you don't know how it works. CALCULATE does context transition, therefore your formula is almost certainly wrong.

Best
d

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors