Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternative for RELATED function

In the simplest sense I have two tables as follows.  Live Data is as it sounds, records with current data.  History takes a snapshot of open records on the first of each month.

Live Data

IDLocationCreatedCurrent Status
1N12/15/2019CLOSE
2S1/2/2020INPROG
3N1/29/2020INPROG

History

IDLocationDateStatus
1N1/1/2020CREATED
1N2/1/2020INPROG
2S2/1/2020CREATED
3N2/1/2020CREATED
3N3/1/2020INPROG

The tables are joined on ID & Location.  ID is the active relationship.  Location relationship is used to find records for new locations (i.e. not in the last snapshot).  I should also mention that there is also a calendar table that is joined to History table.

I am trying to add a Calculated Column in Live table that is equivalent to RELATED('History'[Status]) so that when I filter on a specific 'History'[Date] (naturally, throuh my Calendar date) that I get the Status that is applicable. 

I understand why that doesn't work but have not found a suitable substitute.  I was able to build this as a RELATED workaround for my Location issue but have not been able to adapt it to the Status. 

Historical Location? =
IF (
     CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT('History'[Location],
          FILTER('History','History'[Date] = LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date]) && 'Live'[Location] = 'History'[Location])
      ) > 0,
     "Y",
     "N"
)

3 REPLIES 3
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you tried looking into LOOKUPVALUE dax function?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/lookupvalue-function-dax

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that but LOOKUPVALUE hasn't been any help.  I there is a cautionary note in The Definitive Guide to DAX that explains the reason why it's not my solution.  The note basically says that LOOKUPVALUE ignores existing filter context.  

Since I want/need the calendar dates to be in play here I can't use LOOKUPVALUE.

I would approach it differently. I would append live and history into a single fact table. Add a new column called status (or what ever) that stores either Live or History.   I would then create dimension tables for iD, loc. and date. I assume history date is the extract date, so you would end up with potentially 2 date columns. Add the current date for the live data. 

This will create a simple star schema, and the DAX should be easier. 

current records = calculate(countrows(data),data[status]="Live")

history records = calculate(countrows(data),data[status]="History")

etc

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors