Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aggregate column value based on category

I have this table:

snip1.PNG

And I want to create a new table with one column containing VPU names and two other columns containing the sum of actual runs for each VPU category and planned runs for each VPU category. Like this:snip2.PNG

I cant figure out how to use the column values in one table to create a new table. Please help me out. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Then you can create a table in the Query Editor.  Copy the original table, and then apply this Group By transformation:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"<PREVIOUS STEP NAME>", {"VPU"}, {{"Planned Runs", each List.Sum([Planned Runs]), type number}, {"Actual Runs", each List.Sum([Actual Runs]), type number}})

And you'll have a second table aggregated by the VPU.  You can also use the Group By wizard in the Transform tab to do the same thing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Are you trying to create a new data table in your model, or do you just want to display this info in a visual table?

I would suggest the latter, if that fits your criteria.  It would be as easy as dragging the fields into a table visual and making sure that Planned and Actual runs are aggregated as sums.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cmcmahan wrote:

Are you trying to create a new data table in your model, or do you just want to display this info in a visual table?

I would suggest the latter, if that fits your criteria.  It would be as easy as dragging the fields into a table visual and making sure that Planned and Actual runs are aggregated as sums.

I am trying to create a new data table and not a visual. I figured out how to create a visual, but I want it as a data table that has a relationship with the original table based on VPU categories. Thanks for your help though. Appreciate it.

Then you can create a table in the Query Editor.  Copy the original table, and then apply this Group By transformation:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"<PREVIOUS STEP NAME>", {"VPU"}, {{"Planned Runs", each List.Sum([Planned Runs]), type number}, {"Actual Runs", each List.Sum([Actual Runs]), type number}})

And you'll have a second table aggregated by the VPU.  You can also use the Group By wizard in the Transform tab to do the same thing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors