Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Oneiricer

Advanced DAX help - Rolling 12 month average of another measure

Hi Guys,

I am hoping a DAX guru can help with a complicated DAX problem that I have.

I initially started using the rolling 12 month template provided by the sqlbi guys (https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rolling-12-months-average-in-dax/) but had to deviate substantially due to the differences in the underlying data and additional requirements around visualisation filters.

The goal

Goal is to produce a rolling 12 month average of an 'average transaction value per customer' per account_id

Complications

Unfortunately the data is structured like this:

Account_ID

System

All Flows ($)

Net Membership

Year_Month

A

Sep 21

S

Sep 21

null

Sep 21

A

Sep 21

S

Sep 21

null

Sep 21

Measure 1 - Total $ spent - sum(All Flows)

Measure 2 - Total Customers - sum(Net Membership)

Measure 3 - divide( [Total $ spent], [Total Customers])

What I need is to have an average of measure 3 over 12 months per account ID

Visualisation requirements

The default view is all companies. However users can click on individiual companies to filter only for that companies' details.

The user can also multi select different companies (i.e. select company 2, 6, 😎 and the measure needs to calculate correctly.

There are a myriad of other filters based on location, sales manager for each company which isn't shown above but are referrenced in other dimension tables.

Other requirements

I could probably 'cheat' by creating a table that pre-calculates the value for each employer. However due to interactions with other measures, this isn't preferred. Also to de-clutter the PBI file (and also challenge my DAX understanding) I would like to do all this within a measure.

Where i got to so far

All flows per Mbr Rolling 12m = 

VAR LastCurrentDate = LASTDATE('f Combined Facts'[YEAR_MONTH])
var LastYearDate = DATEADD(LASTDATE('f Combined Facts'[YEAR_MONTH]),-1,YEAR)
var HasOneID = HASONEVALUE('f Combined Facts'[ACCOUNT_ID])

var tbl = SUMMARIZE( filter('f Combined Facts', 'f Combined Facts'[YEAR_MONTH] > LastYearDate && 'f Combined Facts'[YEAR_MONTH] <= LastCurrentDate),
                'd Account Managed Employers'[ACCOUNT_ID],
                 'f Combined Facts'[YEAR_MONTH],
                 "All Flows", sum('f Combined Facts'[All flows]),
                 "Net Mbrs", sum('f Combined Facts'[Net Membership (Agg)]),
                 "AvgFlow", if( 
                                ISBLANK(
                                        divide(sum('f Combined Facts'[All flows]),sum('f Combined Facts'[Net Membership (Agg)]))
                                        ),0, divide(sum('f Combined Facts'[All flows]),sum('f Combined Facts'[Net Membership (Agg)])))

)

VAR SingleEmployer =
   calculate(sumx(tbl, [AvgFlow]))

var AllEmpnum = sumx(tbl, [All Flows])
var AllEmpD = sumx(tbl,[Net Mbrs])

var Result = if(HasOneID,SingleEmployer,divide(AllEmpnum,AllEmpD))

RETURN Result

What I'm struggling to do

The variable table seems to be calculated/created correctly on the month level, but i'm struggling to 'take a step back' and aggregate at a rolling 12 month level for this calculation. The initial sqlbi help article has the monthly values 'materialised' and then uses datesinperiod to filter down to the relevant 12 month period. I'm not sure how this can be done within a single measure. 

Am grateful for any guidance.

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Think like the Grand Total. Very often measures designed for the Grand Total will also work for the Row and Column Totals and for the individual cells.

In your case calculate for a group of accounts. 

Provide some more sample data that covers the issue better  (more than 12 months, for example) if you like more help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors