Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Activate slicer selection based on dax or user permissions

Hi Power BI Community,

I'm developing a report that uses Site Name as the primary slicer for multiple pages. I have set up permissions with userprincipalID(e-mail address with app.powerbi.com) to only show data for that user's single site. The report is based on a site table with Site ID and Site Name and linked to a table containing Site Name and userprincipleID using bidirectional row-level security. The Site slicer is currently set to a single selection radio button control. 

I'm trying to find a way to use a dax formula to select site slicer items based on userprincipleID.

Use cases:

1. Manager A who manages New York should not see Oregon.

2. Manager B who manages Oregon should not see New York.

3. Region Manager C who manages Maine and New York should not see Oregon (Sites are not grouped; single site selection is best; selection of Maine OR New York will be acceptable)

When I publish the slicer, it always has a single selected Site ID. I have the permissions working; Manager A can only see New York and Manager B can only see Oregon. But If I publish with New York selected, Manager B sees New York selected (with Oregon as an option) in the slicer and "(Blank)" in most of the visuals. Once Manager B switches to Oregon in the slicer, the visuals show data and New York disappears from the slicer.

1: Is there a way to force a slicer to automatically select only the Site Name that the userprincipalID has permissions to?
2: What about region managers who have access to multiple sites? Is there a way to use a First/Max/Min dax formula to only select a single site that they have access to? (Activating multiple sites is not ideal for regional managers, and especially not for analysts with access to all sites.)

Thanks,

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors