Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

czaldumbide
Helper I
Helper I

AVERAGEX when filtered by Date

Hello Friends,

I am using the function AVERAGEX to calculate the daily average amount of incoming wires. I understand that this type of measures are meant to be used in a monthly context or upwards, but I was wondering what happens when used in a daily context.

For example, this measure will be used in a dashboard where I have Transaction Date as one of the filters the users can change. I was wondering what happens to this value if the user selects a single day in the Transactions Date filter. From what I have seen, the measure does not display the avergae for that day, nor the total (as the amount displayed is higher than the total for that day). 

My function looks like this:

Avg Daily Amount Incoming = 

AVERAGEX(

VALUES('Wires Table'[TransactionDate].[Date]), 

CALCULATE(SUM('Wires Table'[Amount]), 'Wires Table'[Type] = "Incoming")

)

I would appreciate any explanations as to what it is displaying and why. 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
hafizsultan

You can try below:

AVERAGEX(

KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('Wires Table'[TransactionDate].[Date])), 

CALCULATE(SUM('Wires Table'[Amount]), 'Wires Table'[Type] = "Incoming")

)

Hi @hafizsultan and @amitchandak 

Thanks for your suggestion. It is still not giving me the answer I'm looking for. I basically need to calculate an average that when filtered by a range of dates it divides the sum by the distinct count of dates in that range and when selected a single date it will provide me the total amount for that particular date. 

You can see the response I gave to @JustJan for a little bit more context.

Thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Refer if this can help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SUM-of-AVERAGE/td-p/197013

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blog -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence , Winner Coloring on MAP , >HR Analytics , Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Connect on Linkedin

JustJan
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @czaldumbide , 

Averagex is not specifically meant to be used for monthly calculation, it can calculate an average of anything.

To answer you question is much easier if you should some (sample) data, relationships (if any) and expected result.

regards,

jan 

Hi @JustJan 

Let me give you a little bit more context. I have a table called 'Wires' that have the columns of Amount, Type and Transaction Date. I have a date table called 'Date Filter' that has a Date column. These tables are related ( One to many, single direction) by Date and Transaction Date. 

Given this, I want to calculate the average of incoming wires. Basically I just want to sum up all Amount of type Incoming and divide by the DISTINCTCOUNT of date. 

Ex: 

var totalincoming = CALCULATE(SUM('Wires'[Amount]), FILTER('Wires', 'Wires'[Type] = "Incoming"))
      var totaldates = DISTINCTCOUNT('Date Filter'[Date].[Date])
      return DIVIDE(totalincoming, totaldates)

Filter Date will be used as a filter in my dahsboard. So I want the result of my measure to be the average of only the selected range, or in the case of a single date selected then the total amount incoming for that date. 

Let me know if that's enough information. All my data si quite sensitive so it is difficult to provide sample data. 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors