Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AND Multiple Selectedvalue

Hey! 

I wanted to create  a target based on the selections in a slicer.

Target = IF(
AND(SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Thomas",SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Nick")
||SELECTEDVALUE('Return Delivery'[PartStatus1])="Thomas"
||SELECTEDVALUE('Return Delivery'[PartStatus1])="Nick",1,2)

The target if I select only Thomas is 1 like expected. The same goes for Nick. But I want the target to be 1, when I select Thomas AND Nick. So I guess there is something wrong with my underlined part.

All help is very appreciated! 

Best regards
MSOMME
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey daxer,

thank you very much for your answer. I may be to far away from DAX-Code like in the video, but I somehow figured my own Workaround. It sure is not perfect, but works for me:

Target = IF(

IF(ISFILTERED('Table A'[Names]),CONCATENATEX(VALUES('Table A'[Names]),'Table A'[Names], " | "),"")="Thomas | Nick"

||SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Thomas"

||SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Nick"

,1,2)

Best regards
MSOMME

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Target =
VAR VisibleNames =
    VALUES( 'Table A'[Names] )
var DesiredNames = 
	{"Nick", "Thomas"}
var Union_ =
	// This union will have 2 elements
	// only when VisibleNames is a subset
	// of DesiredSet.
	DISTINCT(
		union(
			VisibleNames,
			DesiredNames
		)
	)
var DesiredNamesCard =
	COUNTROWS( DesiredNames )
var UnionCard =
	COUNTROWS( Union_ )
VAR Result =
    IF( UnionCard = DesiredNamesCard,
    )
RETURN
    Result

Here's the code you probably wanted to write. CONCATENATEX is a function which should not be used in your scenario. This is not what it's been meant for. The above code is flexible and expresses clearly your idea. For instance, ff you wanted to put more names in the DesiredNames set, you could do it and the code would behave correctly as well (only one change is needed to DesiredNames). If you wanted to change the names, you'd change them in one place only. This is what's called: CLEAN CODE. No repetitions are present and you probably know that in programming repeated code is the source of all evil.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course it's wrong. The logic says: if the same field selected in the table is at the same time Nick and Thomas... then do this. Well, this will never be true since SELECTEDVALUE always returns only one name, never both.

To do what you're asking for requires some non-trival effort. Please start with this vid: (1) Using OR conditions between slicers in DAX - YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey daxer,

thank you very much for your answer. I may be to far away from DAX-Code like in the video, but I somehow figured my own Workaround. It sure is not perfect, but works for me:

Target = IF(

IF(ISFILTERED('Table A'[Names]),CONCATENATEX(VALUES('Table A'[Names]),'Table A'[Names], " | "),"")="Thomas | Nick"

||SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Thomas"

||SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Names])="Nick"

,1,2)

Best regards
MSOMME
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target =
VAR VisibleNames =
    VALUES( 'Table A'[Names] )
var DesiredNames = 
	{"Nick", "Thomas"}
var Union_ =
	// This union will have 2 elements
	// only when VisibleNames is a subset
	// of DesiredSet.
	DISTINCT(
		union(
			VisibleNames,
			DesiredNames
		)
	)
var DesiredNamesCard =
	COUNTROWS( DesiredNames )
var UnionCard =
	COUNTROWS( Union_ )
VAR Result =
    IF( UnionCard = DesiredNamesCard,
    )
RETURN
    Result

Here's the code you probably wanted to write. CONCATENATEX is a function which should not be used in your scenario. This is not what it's been meant for. The above code is flexible and expresses clearly your idea. For instance, ff you wanted to put more names in the DesiredNames set, you could do it and the code would behave correctly as well (only one change is needed to DesiredNames). If you wanted to change the names, you'd change them in one place only. This is what's called: CLEAN CODE. No repetitions are present and you probably know that in programming repeated code is the source of all evil.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey daxer,

this is alot better. Thank you very much! 🙂

Best regards 

MSOMME

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors