Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IgorM
Frequent Visitor

A measure calculating two different cumulative totals

Hi,

I need a measure that will calculate two different cumulative totals depanding on one of the column values. 

The below table contains a sample data set. The Date column is connected to a Calendar table in my model. For the following set I need to write a measure that will:

1) for Country=Poland calculate YTD cumulative total of Amount

2) for Country=UK calculate lifetime to date total of Amount. The following measure correctly calculates such a lifetime to date total but I don't know how to combine it in a single measure with the condition from point 1:  CALCULATE(SUM[Amount];FILTER(ALL('Calendar'[Date]);'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date])))

CountryCityDateAmount
PolandGdansk09.06.2018458,14
PolandGdansk01.01.2019354,02
PolandKrakow11.06.2018678,38
PolandKrakow30.12.2018775,82
UKLondon02.09.2018995,06
UKLondon03.02.2019342,28
UKLondon09.05.2019528,65
UKCambridge16.06.2018499,19
2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Should be something like:

Measure = 
VAR __country = MAX([Country])
RETURN
SWITCH(__country,
    "Poland",[Some measure],
    "UK",CALCULATE(SUM[Amount];FILTER(ALL('Calendar'[Date]);'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date]))),
    BLANK()
)

You could also use an IF statement instead of SWITCH but SWITCH is usually better.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

no I am afraid it is not working the way I wanted it to work. Below is a complete measure code. I am testing it in Power Pivot that's why there is IF instead of SWITCH. It seems to me that the IF test always fails and therefore the false part of the if statement is always executed.

If the code was correct 2 should be returned for Gdansk, since there is only one entry for Gdansk with the date in 2019 (second row of the source table) - please notice that I have changed the amounts in the sample table for simplicity reasons.

Capture.PNG

=VAR __country = MAX(SourceData[Country])
RETURN
IF(__country="Poland";TOTALYTD(SUM(SourceData[Amount]);'Calendar'[Date]);
CALCULATE(SUM(SourceData[Amount]);FILTER(ALL('Calendar'[Date]);'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date]))))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors