Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

2 fields are from 2 tables, how to use DIVIDE to calculate percent?

I have a simple table viz. I have 2 tables with data. I had to connect the 2 tables with a Calendar table full of dates which was made from GENERATESERIES. The date in the Calendar table was made into 1 month bins which is shown in column 1 of the table below. The values for "PE Cost" and "InvoiceAmt" are correct for each month. The table looks like this right now: 

croberts21_0-1656519911205.png

The measure "PE Cost" is from a table "Test2022". The measure "InvoiceAmt" is from a table called "Invoice". I want to take the column/measure "PE Cost" divided by "InvoiceAmt" to calculate a percent in "PE Percent". BUt when I try to make a measure on the "Invoice" table which is "PE Percent = DIVIDE(Test2022[PE Cost], Invoice[InvoiceAmt])" PBI will only show fields for the "Invoice" table. 

These tables are not connected in any way except by the intermediate Calendar table. The user wants to see the data by month. 

I've viewed 10+ hours of videos for PBI in general and looked at 10 pages for this issue but have not found a solution yet. How do I calculate "PE Cost" divided by "InvoiceAmt"?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This formula worked. Yay!

croberts21_0-1656585963557.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This formula worked. Yay!

croberts21_0-1656585963557.png

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @croberts21 

simply dividing the two measures should work. Are you sure yiu dividing the measures not the columns? What is dax code of each measure?

Both numeric columns are columns with a different name than the query column, not measures. So the "PE Cost" column is just "PE Cost = Test2022[Total Cost]" with different formatting for the date. I was unable to get measures to work with any SUM function in this case, and a measure cannot just point to a column without a calculation function. 

I need to use monthly bins to sum these numbers correctly. Since I use bins, I don't need to use measures. I could not get measures to work anyway for this case. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors