Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpiechowski
Helper I
Helper I

2 Calculated columns, return next value and previous value

I need to create a pair of calculated columns that return the next and previous TRUE_MACH_NO of each grouped ORDER_NO & SPEC_NO determined by MACH_SEQ_NO. Sometimes the TRUE_MACH_NO is the same twice in a row because the product does have to go through the same machine twice, but this is reflected in the table as an incremented MACH_SEQ_NO. The MACH_SEQ_NO sometimes has decimals (I don't know why) and sometimes even goes negative (I REALLY don't know why)...

SPEC_NOMACH_SEQ_NOTRUE_MACH_NOPREV_MACHNEXT_MACH
556927123null64
55692769003001null

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before writing DAX, you really should UNDERSTAND your data... If you don't know why some numbers are decimal... well, that spells troubles.

Best
D
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dpiechowski 

try

Prev_Mach = 
var _curMACH_SEQ_NO = [MACH_SEQ_NO]
var _prevMACH_SEQ_NO = CALCULATE(MAX(Table[MACH_SEQ_NO], ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[ORDER_NO], Table[SPEC_NO]), Table[MACH_SEQ_NO] <  _curMACH_SEQ_NO )
RETURN
CALCULATE(MAX(Table[TRUE_MACH_NO]), ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[ORDER_NO], Table[SPEC_NO]), Table[MACH_SEQ_NO] = _prevMACH_SEQ_NO)

and

Prev_Mach = 
var _curMACH_SEQ_NO = [MACH_SEQ_NO]
var _nextMACH_SEQ_NO = CALCULATE(MIN(Table[MACH_SEQ_NO], ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[ORDER_NO], Table[SPEC_NO]), Table[MACH_SEQ_NO] > _curMACH_SEQ_NO )
RETURN
CALCULATE(MAX(Table[TRUE_MACH_NO]), ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[ORDER_NO], Table[SPEC_NO]), Table[MACH_SEQ_NO] = _nextMACH_SEQ_NO)

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Thank you. I think this is the right way to go, but I can't seem to get the syntax correct. It says 'Unexpected Parameter' and I'm not quite sure how to adjust it to clear the error.

Capture.PNG

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

here are some examples of possible solutions.

Prev = 
var sn='Table (4)'[SPEC_NO]
var ms='Table (4)'[MACH_SEQ_NO]-1
var m=CALCULATE(max('Table (4)'[TRUE_MACH_NO]),all('Table (4)'),treatas({(sn,ms)},'Table (4)'[SPEC_NO],'Table (4)'[MACH_SEQ_NO]))
return m

Next = 
var sn='Table (4)'[SPEC_NO]
var ms='Table (4)'[MACH_SEQ_NO]+1
var m=CALCULATE(max('Table (4)'[TRUE_MACH_NO]),all('Table (4)'),'Table (4)'[SPEC_NO]=sn,'Table (4)'[MACH_SEQ_NO]=ms)
return m

This seems to work really well except for the non-integer MACH_SEQ_NO rows, since var ms is subtracting 1 from itself it will miss any non-standard steps in the sequence. This is a good start though! Thank you.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors