Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GA1993
Helper II
Helper II

12-month rolling average without dividing the values that are blank.

Hi,

My question is particularly with the 12-month rolling average. What I did was I utilized the 'Quick Measure' feature of PowerBI and selected the corresponding fields to be calculated for the 12-months. Below was the automatic formula created.

RAve_Time to Hire = 
IF(
	ISFILTERED('Date'[Date]),
	ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
	VAR __LAST_DATE = ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date].[Date])
	VAR __DATE_PERIOD =
		DATESBETWEEN(
			'Date'[Date].[Date],
			STARTOFMONTH(DATEADD(__LAST_DATE, -12, MONTH)),
			__LAST_DATE
		)
	RETURN
		AVERAGEX(
			CALCULATETABLE(
				SUMMARIZE(
					VALUES('Date'),
					'Date'[Date].[Year],
					'Date'[Date].[QuarterNo],
					'Date'[Date].[Quarter],
					'Date'[Date].[MonthNo],
					'Date'[Date].[Month]
				),
				__DATE_PERIOD
			),
			CALCULATE(SUM('MP - Engine'[Time to Hire]), ALL('Date'[Date].[Day]))
		)
)

This totally worked for those that have values per month. However, the problem takes place when the months are blank or have no values.

For example, the rolling average below should be 100%, but since it was counting those months that had no values/blank, it is getting different rolling average totals.

GA1993_0-1633686973773.png

How do I solve this? I am thinking of filtering or placing an IF statement where only those months that have values will be calculated as opposed to dividing it to 12. However, I am not sure how to add this to the code above.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I created a sample power bi for you, which contains my solution. If you did not update PBI, you will not be able to open it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cU2fCXboj5cfFwcZNeTkpSwTKuB3PJ-K/view?usp=sharing

To give some context, I tried to break your calculations into multiple steps:

1. You need the Total Hire Time for the last 12 Months

2. This sum must be divided to 12 - N (where N = the blanks) - I assumed you wanted to divide the R12M Time to Hire to the number of months which are not blank

Solution:

3. Final Measure =

VAR R12MTotalTimetoHire =
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Table1[Time to Hire] ),
DATESINPERIOD ( Table1[Date], MAX ( Table1[Date] ), -12, MONTH )
)
VAR BlankMonths =
CALCULATE (
DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Date] ),
Table1[Time to Hire] = 0
&& Table1[Time to Hire] = BLANK (),
)
RETURN
R12MTotalTimetoHire / ( 12 - BlankMonths )

Look at 12/1/2021 from the below screenshot. The R12M time to hire is 41 (0+5+9+...+10). Then, 41 is divided to 12-5, where 5 represents the number of BLANK months within this time period (1/1/2021 - 12/1/2021). The average is going to be 41/7 = 5.85. 

DianaFM_0-1633697034530.png

If this is not the outcome you were hoping for, please share the raw data and some expected results in order to better help you.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I created a sample power bi for you, which contains my solution. If you did not update PBI, you will not be able to open it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cU2fCXboj5cfFwcZNeTkpSwTKuB3PJ-K/view?usp=sharing

To give some context, I tried to break your calculations into multiple steps:

1. You need the Total Hire Time for the last 12 Months

2. This sum must be divided to 12 - N (where N = the blanks) - I assumed you wanted to divide the R12M Time to Hire to the number of months which are not blank

Solution:

3. Final Measure =

VAR R12MTotalTimetoHire =
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Table1[Time to Hire] ),
)
VAR BlankMonths =
CALCULATE (
DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Date] ),
Table1[Time to Hire] = 0
&& Table1[Time to Hire] = BLANK (),
)
RETURN
R12MTotalTimetoHire / ( 12 - BlankMonths )

Look at 12/1/2021 from the below screenshot. The R12M time to hire is 41 (0+5+9+...+10). Then, 41 is divided to 12-5, where 5 represents the number of BLANK months within this time period (1/1/2021 - 12/1/2021). The average is going to be 41/7 = 5.85. 

DianaFM_0-1633697034530.png

If this is not the outcome you were hoping for, please share the raw data and some expected results in order to better help you.

Thanks.

It totally worked! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors