Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Programmatically update datasets

I have to create reports for multiple departments in my company. Each department receives the same report, e.g. same tabs, same visuals, etc. The only difference between each report are the dataset filters (which is controlled by a "Deparment" parameter). The data itself comes from the same SQL database tables on the same server.

The reports and dataset can change. For example, I can get a new requirement to add new visuals which requires bringing in an additional table in for the report. Currently the only way I can do this is if I open each report for each deparment, refresh the dataset, then publish the report. It's an inefficient process and would be great if I can modify one report then have a way to replicate this change across to the rest of the similar reports.

For example:

PowerBiDatasets.png

Through the API/Powershell cmdlets, I can use the template report to update content, however, when opening the report the visual is broken because the dataset is not updated. It would be good to have an API method/Powershell cmdlet or some other alternative where these report datasets can be updated programmatically.