Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Developing a Control Chart

See https://www.isixsigma.com/tools-templates/control-charts/a-guide-to-control-charts/

How can this NOT be included with PowerBI?!?  Control Charts are one of the foundational reasons to visualize data.

Comments
Basjuh84
Frequent Visitor
I tried to look at this myself, but my knowledge for building visuals is waaaaay to little. I would love to have such a chart (now I use a line chart with some static horizontal lines)
tzvikei
Employee

Control charts are classic to create using R.

Here is an example using qcc package (qcc is supported in Power BI): https://www.r-bloggers.com/control-charts-in-r-a-guide-to-x-barr-charts-in-the-qcc-package/

tcd1nc
Frequent Visitor

I have been developing a control chart. it has stages, can select SDs based on subgroups, stage dividers, chart crosshairs, gridlines, data rules etc.  i dont have a GitHub a/c but am willing to share the .pbiviz.visualSandboxMinimal2.png

v-viig
Community Champion

Hello @tcd1nc,

This is awesome Smiley Happy

Please send your visual to Power BI Custom Visuals Submission <pbivizsubmit@microsoft.com> once it's ready for review and publciation.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

tcd1nc
Frequent Visitor

The control's code and the packaged visual are now available on GitHub. https://github.com/tcd1nc

The stats calcs need checking but they should be Ok. Also no optimisation for speed has been done but those who are experts in Typescript, d3 etc can contribute.

I wont be publishing it since the custom visuals process requires generating images, needs a URL and there's no $ for the effort!

v-viig
Community Champion

@tcd1nc,

You can use just screenshots as images for custom visual and you can use GitHub url as a package URL.

We're really looking forward to publishing your visual to Office Store.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

tzvikei
Employee

@tcd1nc,

The visual looks good (although still requires stability work, it crashed on my Desktop a few times).

If you are interested in publishing to the store, we can help with the process. email pbicvsupport@microsoft.com with your requests.

value of having your visual in the store is exposure to build your brand as a custom visuals developer and a data viz expert.

As said before, we'd love to see you in the store.

Tzvi Keisar

Senior Program Manager

jeyakumarvs
Regular Visitor

Hi Custom Visuals team,

We are looking for this control chart for our data analysis using Power BI. This custom visual was crashed few times while I tried from Power BI Desktop. It would be great if this custom visual can be Power BI Certified so that this can be used with confidence. Does microsoft add this custom visual as a default one come along with Power BI rather than custom visual?. Thank you!

tcd1nc
Frequent Visitor

You dont say when or under what circumstances it crashed so I can't help or fix. Also, did you use the control in the dist folder or something else? The control requires a basic knowledge of statistics.

It WILL cause PowerBI to crash if you use a large number of stages. That crash is due to PowerBI not handling large data sets well without some sort of filtering.

tcd1nc
Frequent Visitor

Please provide information on the error so it can be resolved before the new version comes out.

The new version is expected to be released in approximately 2 weeks and will incorporate additional features that successful users have requested to provide more customisation.