Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RBunting
Advocate II
Advocate II

privacy concerns over azure maps query data

Trying to understand the Azure maps visual and just what gets shared with TomTom.

Is it only location data that goes to TomTom?  Or will TomTom also be able to read other query fields if they are used in the filter, legend, or measures?

For instance, let's say I create a map showing plant locations and I have a 'status' flag that has field data like 'Operating', 'Stopped', 'ToBeDecomissioned', and 'New Prospect.' If I filter on 'New Prospect' -- can someone at TomTom peak into this query and see the locations and that they are 'New Prospect'? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What is sent to Azure?

The Azure Maps Power BI visual connects to cloud service hosted in Azure to retrieve location data such as map images and coordinates that are used to create the map visualization.

• Details about the area the map is focused on are sent to Azure to retrieve images needed to render the map canvas (also known as map tiles).
  • Data in the Location, Latitude, and Longitude buckets may be sent to Azure to retrieve map coordinates (a process called geocoding).
  • Telemetry data may be collected on the health of the visual (for example, crash reports), if the telemetry option in Power BI is enabled.

Other than the scenarios described above, no other data overlaid on the map is sent to the Azure Maps servers. All rendering of data happens locally within the client.

You, or your administrator, may need to update your firewall to allow access to the Azure Maps platform that uses the following URL.

https://atlas.microsoft.com

To learn more, about privacy and terms of use related to the Azure Maps Power BI visual see Microsoft Azure Legal Information.

Thank you, lbendlin, for your answer.  Unfortunately, it contradicts the answer given here by v-chenwuz-msft on the Developer forum.  

TomTom will also be able to read other query fields if they are used in the filter, legend, or measures via the tooltips when you hover the location

Can you help me understand what your source is that lets you draw the conclusion:

Other than the scenarios described above, no other data overlaid on the map is sent to the Azure Maps servers. All rendering of data happens locally within the client.

Your help is deeply appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors